This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oswego chapter.

As I have gotten older, I have found my interests growing a bit more specific. I don’t have the same interests I used to, or I’m growing more interested in new discoveries. I’ve found myself collecting rather specific things that I have zero shame in. These items bring me joy and end up being functional to some degree. I thought I would share 3 of the things I collect simply to share my joy towards these simple items with others.

1. Books

So, this one is pretty self-explanatory. Over the past year or so, I’ve found myself becoming more and more interested in books. Although most of my collection is newer young adult fiction, I do have some older classics and other little outliers sitting on my shelves. Although I know I will most likely never read all of the books on my shelf, being able to see a ton of options right in front of me brings me a lot of joy. On top of this, it’s a good conversation starter for when I meet new people. I love having my books set up for anyone to see. Being able to change the set-up however I want whenever I want also makes me super happy.

2. Gnomes

This one is a bit more out of the ordinary. I have a collection of roughly 15 gnomes, and the sole reason I have them is because I think they’re cute. They aren’t like the garden gnomes you could see out front of someone’s house; my gnomes are plush little guys (or big ones, depending on which one I’m talking about) that end up sitting around my desk. Again, it’s a talking point for people who may not know I collect them, but whenever I find a new gnome at a store, I get really excited to add it to my collection at home. 

3. Squishmallows

Finally, Squishmallows. I hadn’t hopped onto this bandwagon until about a month ago, but I can’t say I regret it at all. I love having a bunch of plush creatures waiting on my bed for me, especially because of how soft they are. I honestly don’t even collect them for their designs. If I like their shape and they feel soft enough, I’ll grab one or two. The cute animal designs are just a plus.

I love collecting little items that have the main purpose of bringing me joy. I don’t regret any of my purchases and love sharing them with other people. I can only hope my collections will continue to grow and bring me as much happiness in a few years as they bring me now.

Tess (they / them) is a senior theater and creative writing double major at SUNY Oswego. They love reading, hanging out with friends, and writing in their free time.