What to Do When They’re a “Clinger”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oswego chapter.

Id like to have you think of that one girlfriend you have that treats you like youre her boyfriend. You know, the girl that gets jealous over practically everything. Maybe she calls you ten times because you didnt answer the first call. Maybe she texts you after every decision she has to make in life, in search of your approval. Maybe she even comes to your house uninvited, and just makes herself welcome. Yes, that friend. Id like to call this girl, the Level 10 Clinger Girlfriend. Shes that friend that needs you way more than you need her.

Its quite the odd relationship, because sometimes shell push you to the point where you just feel like a horrible person for not caring about any of her dramatic issues. But Im here to tell you that this is OK! Youre not a horrible person; youre just an average human being. People can only hear so much drama a day before they begin to lose it. She just wants to feel wanted, and you can provide that for her, but only on your own terms so that you don’t become stressed out. Be honest with her and tell her you love and appreciate her, but sometimes you just need your space. Its like an actual breakup, but youre letting her down easy. Youre not ending the friendship, just making it more about the both of you instead of just her.

You cant just end your friendship with her because deep down part of you actually enjoys hanging out with her once in awhile. And thats just it: once in awhile. Try giving yourselves some space. This will allow her to learn to deal with things on her own, and will give you some personal down time.

When you finally reunite, shell be a stronger individual with a plethora of entertaining stories, and youll have a friend that you actually enjoy hanging out with once more.

Graphic Design Junior at SUNY Oswego :) This is my second year writing for Her Campus and I'm super excited to get started!
Kari is currently a second semester junior at Oswego State majoring in both Journalism and Global International Studies. She's a big city girl who was born in a small town. When not studying for her classes or obsessing over Her Campus, she can be found splurging on nail polish, watching documentaries, reading magazines, crafting, drinking chai tea, or gushing about animals.