This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oswego chapter.

When I was a senior in high school I remember searching on YouTube for what to bring to college videos or college dorm hauls to understand better what I truly needed in college to get by. So, here’s my Top 10 list of college essentials that I think are necessary and can help you get by. 

1. Mattress topper and good pillows

To survive college you need your hours of sleep. Having both a mattress topper and comfortable pillows will allow you to sleep peacefully.

1. Shower shoes

No matter if you have a roommate or not you have to share the showers in the dorms. Having good shower shoes ensures that you won’t catch anything bad on your feet. 

1. Shower caddy

Shower caddies are super helpful to help you bring your shower essentials back and forth.

1. Cleaning supplies

I feel like cleaning supplies aren’t emphasized enough. Although your dorm may or may not have a broom you still need to mop, dust, and ensure your room is clean.

1. School supplies

Even if you think you won’t need all your school supplies still bring them. You never know if a class will require you to create something on paper and draw or if you’ll need some spare notebooks after your original ones fill up throughout the semester. 

1. Whiteboard or calendar

Personally having a whiteboard calendar helps me keep track of what I have to do and what days I’m busy. Either a whiteboard or calendar is also just as useful to stay on track of time. 

1. Laundry basket and laundry bag

Everyone remembers a laundry bag but never remembers a good basket to go up and down from the laundry room. It’ll help make laundry easier. 

1. Spare chargers

Your phone charger or laptop charger could break at any time. So be prepared for that day and keep some spare chargers on you. 

1. Scissors

Scissors are the most useful school supply yet. Whether it’s to open your package or to cut something for a project, they always come in handy.

1.  Speaker

Bring a speaker for when you are alone or when the weather gets good so you could bring it out with you and your friends. 

Of course, this is only my top 10 college dorm essentials so there’s more I would say to bring but that’s for another article.

I'm Tiffany, a Marketing student at SUNY Oswego and one of our Her Campus at Oswego Campus Correspondent!