The Rise of Gru: Maybe More Realistic than it Seems

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oswego chapter.

Most people know the beloved franchise that is the Despicable Me and Minion movies created by Universal Studios. This series first came out on July 9th, 2010, with its first movie, Despicable Me. Since the release of this first movie, there have been 5 more and another one is in the works to come out in the year 2024.

On the opening weekend of Despicable Me, the movie earned 56,397,125 million dollars, and the most recent movie Minions: The Rise of Gru earned over 107 million dollars during the opening weekend. As the statistics show, these movies have grown insanely popular among society. The first movie may have grossed 21.7 million on opening night, but the total worldwide box office earnings ended at around 543,464,473 dollars. The earnings of the newest addition to the franchise make these numbers look like child’s play; with the worldwide box office earnings coming to over 903 million dollars. That is almost a billion dollars, for a movie about little yellow guys walking around speaking a gibberish language. We as a society must ask ourselves what makes these movies so worthy of such an immense amount of both time and money, and we must question as to why these movies have risen up to become such a popular franchise. This brings me back to my original point, The Rise of Gru, just a movie title, or our new reality? 

Katy Lynk

Oswego '24

Hi! My name is Katy I am a Senior at SUNY Oswego and I am majoring in Adolescent English Ed. I love reading, writing and going on adventures and I hope to be a High School English teacher in the future.