This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oswego chapter.

I’m not one to get overly excited about a new year but something about this transition out of 2018 feels significant.  I’m lucky enough to say that each year has been better than the last so far, and I can only hope to keep it that way forever. I anticipated this year for so long but I never expected it to turn out the way it did.  2018 flipped me inside out and upside down but in the end, it exceeded my expectations in every way. I believe 2018 will hold a special place in my heart for the rest of my life; so many pivotal moments have occurred in these last 12 months.  Perhaps that is why this is the first time I feel attached to a date and why feel a bit nostalgic at its end.

Below I have compiled a monthly recap of this rollercoaster of a year.

January

On the final weekend of 2017, we welcomed a new four-legged member into our family.  Honestly, this month was a lot of potty training. I also completed my internship in a kindergarten classroom which was very bittersweet.

.

February

I did a ton of prep for my school’s National Honor Society banquet, including essentially ghostwriting many of the speeches that were read.  Also, a Chick-Fil-A opened about 45 minutes from my house and my parents and I went to the grand opening.

March

March was the start of my final season of my favorite sport, track & field.  It was also the beginning of an internship at a news station that I learned a lot from but ultimately did not enjoy.

April

I can’t really think of anything too significant that happened in April.  Just a lot of school, working out, and track meets, I suppose.

May

Senior Prom, Dunkin’s Cosmic Pineapple Coolattas, and most importantly, my last track meet ever.  I got to end my track career running my favorite race (the 4×1 relay) with my sister and we placed 3rd in the section.  We ran our season’s fastest time and it was on our home track. It was really a moment I will cherish forever. Oh, and senior skip day, that was a fun time.

June

I broke up with my boyfriend of almost 5 years.  We had our senior trip to Boston, which was an absolute blast.  I won several scholarships that I worked on for several months. I had my last day of high school.  I got back together with my boyfriend. I graduated high school. I got my first tattoo.

July

I went to college orientation, which was so overwhelming but exciting.  I started working at JCPenney again. I went to the gym more days than not and got into the best shape I have ever been in.  I was spoiled with love and well wishes at my graduation party. I got dumped by my boyfriend, again — and for the last time.  I was the saddest I’ve ever been for a week or two. I got really excited to leave and go to college. I had so much inspiration in me and finally started making writing and reading a priority again.

August

I worked, a lot.  I attempted to make cake pops for the first time.  I got a new car. I had to go through a lot of really tough goodbyes, but I finally got to move into college.  I made so many really good friends right off the bat, which made everything easier. I saw so many beautiful sunsets, I swam in the lake.  I genuinely became the happiest I have ever been. I joined my favorite club ever, Her Campus.

September

I fell really hard for a boy, which shocked me because I spent years thinking I was incapable of liking anyone besides my ex.  I was unsure things were going to work out between me and this boy, but I wanted to see where life would take us. I got so much free ice cream at 6 Scoops.  I went to my first house party, and it was not the best experience. I had to make some really tough decisions regarding cutting people out of my life and putting myself first for once.  I got mildly stressed out over my grades and my major, but I pulled it all together with the help of many calls to mom and emails to my advisor.

October

I got really spoiled by all my of friends and family on my 19th birthday.  I went home for the first time. I chopped 6 inches off my hair. I realized that boy and I were not compatible and ended things.  I went to NYC with Her Campus for College Fashion Week and got so much closer with so many of the girls, which I am eternally grateful for.  I finally started letting people read my writing. I made a Tinder (it hasn’t paid off yet).

November

I went to visit my best friend in Elmira for the first time.  I had my first Friendsgiving. I had a much needed relaxing Thanksgiving break at home with my family and friends.  I got my second and third tattoos. I had a very minor emotional breakdown because my hometown doesn’t feel like home anymore.  My house feels like heaven but anywhere else in that town gives me the creeps.

December

A poem of mine got published in the Fall 2018 edition of Great Lake Review.  I am on track to get a B in a class I originally thought I was going to fail miserably.  I am finally going to my first hockey game this weekend. After that, all that is really left is Christmas.  I am so excited to finish this year making money at a job I don’t actually hate and celebrating at home with all of my loved ones.

I am ending this year the happiest I have ever been and with a deeper understanding and appreciation for myself and those around me.  The second half of this year forced me to get out of comfort zone and grow into myself in countless ways. I have so much to look forward to and even more to be thankful for.  I feel like everything I needed was waiting for me in Oswego and I can’t imagine the joy that 2019 will bring me.

All there is left to say to 2018 is:

Thank u, next.

Kailey is a Senior who double-majors in English and Adolescent Education. She has been a writer from the time she could hold a pencil and an aspiring teacher since 1st grade. She currently substitute teaches at a preschool and hopes to teach ELA and Creative Writing to high schoolers in the future. Kailey is an fervent reader, runner, and yogi who is happiest when laughing with loved ones or eating something full of sugar!
Melissa Lee

Oswego '19

CC Melissa is a senior journalism major with a double minor in creative writing and political science at SUNY Oswego. She loves music, makeup, dogs, and napping. 95% of the time she can be found drinking way too much coffee or finding new music on Spotify.