SweetSexy… HOnEy?: A Review of Kehlani’s Latest Single

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oswego chapter.

It seems like ages since Kehlani dropped her debut studio album, SweetSexySavage, but honey, have I got some good news for you. The singer has just recently released a new “wavy” tune for the “lani” tsunami earlier this month. This single is entitled “Honey”, characterized as “HOnEy” on the single’s cover, and it is definitely one of the sweetest songs the artist has come out with thus far.

“Honey”, of course, is similar to Kehlani’s previous work in that it shows off the 22 year-old’s R&B talent and true soul even more. It is also very different than anything she has ever done before, because it shows her in a more intimate light.

While most of the tracks on SweetSexySavage are a mixture of sincere, seductive, and, well, savage personalities, they are primarily ambiguous. Kehlani leaves the love interest in those narratives open to inquiry. However, in “Honey”, the singer-songwriter is rather straightforward about her sexuality, and conspicuously sings about her love for women on this single. She tenderly opens up the ballad with, “I like my girls just like I like my honey… sweet”.  The bisexual vocalist has come out about her sexuality before, but has never expressed it so blatantly and unapologetically in her music, making this single a potential turning point in her career. What makes this piece even sweeter and more unique is that it is fairly acoustic-heavy, with Kehlani singing along to the sonic soporific strum of guitar strings throughout the single. Instrumentally, this is a great diversion from what she’s done in the past, and vocally, the acoustics permit the soulful artist to fully exercise that incredible range of vocals she doesn’t necessarily get to show off in other pieces; all the while still keeping the ambience warm and tender.“Honey” might just be the dreamy (bisexual) ballad we never knew we needed. There is no telling whether Kehlani will make more music like this, or if there’s another album in the works in the near future. She has certainly made a considerable feat in the music industry by representing the LGBTQIA+ community, especially bisexuals, whom may seem more invisible at times. This single proudly situates Kehlani with the talented likes of Halsey and Lauren Jauregui, who have also put their voices out there (literally) and have made music about whomever and whatever they so desired (of course, I am referring to their beautifully queer collaboration of “Strangers” here). These bisexual beauties are not afraid to vocalize their truths through their music, which makes their music not only sweet love songs, but also empowering songs for queer women everywhere.

Kehlani has most recently joined the same very exclusive club as Beyoncé and Rihanna by being nominated for “Favorite Female soul/R&B Artist” at the upcoming American Music Awards, along with the two pop stars. Honestly, just being nominated in the same category as Queen B herself and Rih Rih could already be considered a win for the fresh young soloist. However, if she does actually manage to snag the award on November 19th, that will be an even greater win for the LGBTQIA+ community, showing that the industry is becoming more vocal and accepting of diverse narratives.  

Hey, it's AJ! When I'm not writing up a press release, I'm usually writing up an article of some sort. PR major, English minor
Katie Short

Oswego '18

Katie is a recent graduate of SUNY Oswego, where she double-majored in Creative Writing and Political Science and a minor in Journalism. She was the Co-Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Oswego as well as a Chapter Advisor. Katie hopes to get a job in writing, editing or social media.