This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oswego chapter.

If you’re especially shy or an introvert, trying new things and meeting new people can be downright terrifying. You constantly think about how things could possibly go wrong or what people will think about you. The fear holds you back from going out and living life to the fullest.

I’m here to tell you to forget all of that and take start taking some chances. It’s hard to climb out of your shell, but it’s usually well worth the effort it takes to push yourself.

I’ve been at Oswego for almost two years now. As time went by, something began to really nag at me. When I wasn’t with friends, I had a tendency to remain quiet as everyone else around me talked animatedly. The more I overheard other people’s conversations, the more I realized how different my own college experience had been compared to what many of my peers had been experiencing.

Lately, I’ve been trying a lot of different things and really stepping out of my comfort zone. Some of the things I’ve done have been less nerve-wracking than others. The bottom line is, I’ve felt so much better about myself since. By actually making the effort to put myself out there, I’ve learned and experienced so many great things. I’m happier, more confident, and a lot less stressed out. I’m finally starting to feel like I’m doing college right.Even if you claim to hate it, social interaction is important and incredibly healthy. Following the same routine every day might feel safe, but eventually it gets old. If you don’t take any risks, there’s no way for you to grow.

It might feel intimidating, but you won’t know how things will turn out unless you try. Go to a meeting for that club you’ve seen around campus. Go check out that event you’ve secretly been thinking about. Apply for that internship. Reach out to that acquaintance you know has the potential to be a really good friend. Go out and live your life! Don’t let your shyness define you and definitely don’t let it hold you back.

Stop saying you’ll think about doing something and just go do it already! Start out small and keep at it. Once it comes time to take on those bigger risks, like putting yourself out there. It will begin to feel a lot easier and less intimidating.

I am a double major in Bussiness Administration and Creative Writing, with a minor in Economics. As well as being a writer/editor for Her Campus, I am the President of Oswego's Women in Business club. I love superheroes, sunsets, flannels, and a good cup of tea. 
Katie Short

Oswego '18

Katie is a recent graduate of SUNY Oswego, where she double-majored in Creative Writing and Political Science and a minor in Journalism. She was the Co-Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Oswego as well as a Chapter Advisor. Katie hopes to get a job in writing, editing or social media.