Staying Safe This Halloween

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oswego chapter.

Happy Halloweekend!  Although we (most of us) have moved past the Trick or Treating Days, the same rules we used in our neighborhoods back in the day are still important for going out in Oswego. 

1. Strength in numbers!
This one is obvious, but it is beyond important (especially if alcohol is involved).  When alcohol is in the mix, you never know what will happen and who will get separated.  It’s best to “roll deep” so that if you get separated you can split into smaller groups so that no one gets left behind!  Besides, you’ll look good next to your besties in all of your costumes!

2. Go for a comfortable costume!
Its looking like it’s going to be cold this weekend so keep that in mind when you’re slipping into your sexy cop costume.  Tights and leggings are a huge help when it comes to staying warm without covering up your outfit.   Also keep in mind that parties and bars get crowded.  If your costume has wings, try to keep them on the smaller side to avoid hitting into other people.  Same goes for any props you might need for your costume!

3. If it looks suspicious, throw it away!
Its common sense not to eat that unwrapped candy bar you pull out of your pumpkin shaped basket!  The same rules apply to drinking.  If someone offers you a sketchy looking mixed drink or a bottled/canned drink that has already been opened, toss it.  A drink offer can be tempting, but safety first!

4. Plan Your Route
Everyone knows that the parties you go to this weekend have a risk of getting “busted”.  Although an invitation into another party may seem tempting, make sure you know what you’re getting yourself into.  It’s better to know where you’re going and whose house you’re hanging out in.  Make sure you’re with a big group and that you know the address of the house so that you can call a cab or walk somewhere else if needed. 

5. Get home safe!
Oswego has a number of services that will help you get home safe this weekend and every weekend!  The campus also offers an ambulance service (SAVAC), just in case you or a friend is in need of medical help either in town or on campus.   Take advantage of our campus’s resources and local taxi services, they are there for a reason!

Drunk Bus 315-532-3070
SAVAC 315-312-4000
University Police 315-312-5555

For those of you who are staying on campus, or those of you who need something to do before going out, COME TO HER CAMPUS OSWEGO PROM NIGHT :)  It’s from 8-12 in the Hewitt Union Ballroom!  Free food and drinks!  Music! An opportunity to dress up!

Have a safe and spooky weekend, collegiettes™!

Kaitlin Provost graduated from SUNY Oswego, majoring in journalism with a learning agreement in photography. She grew up in five different towns all over the Northeast, eventually settling and graduating from high school in Hudson, Massachusetts. Kait now lives in the blustery town of Oswego, New York, where she can frequently be found running around like a madwoman, avoiding snow drifts taller than her head (which, incidentally, is not very tall). She has worked for her campus newspaper, The Oswegonian, as the Assistant News Editor, and is also the President of the Oswego chapter of Ed2010, a national organization which helps students break into the magazine industry. She hopes to one day work for National Geographic and travel the world.