This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oswego chapter.

Team Starbucks

Jasmine: Years ago I used to believe that Dunkin Donuts was better than Starbucks, because their prices were more affordable. But, as time went on I now believe that Starbucks is better because they provide a greater variety of products. For instance, Dunkin just started to offer refreshers similar to Starbucks but there are only three flavors. At Starbucks they have had a range of refreshers and they offered them before Dunkin Donuts. Not only does Starbucks offer drinks but they also offer a range of breakfast sandwiches, cake pops, lunch items, bakery items, and more. Also, Starbucks has become so well known that in New York City you can almost find one on every corner. Therefore, making the chain more accessible to its customers and providing convenience.

Briana: Starbucks! I mean you are paying for quality drinks! But with NOTHING beats Dunkin Donuts seasonal pumpkin flavored doughnut. They are the absolute best and are my favorite fall treat.

Erin: Now, this may seem super biased, and while I do love a good Dunkin trip, Starbucks for the win. I work at Lake Effect and Wallstreet Market on campus, in which we sell Starbucks coffee and drinks at both locations. While more expensive, the quality is just better, no question! Drink I recommend trying, and a drink that your barista will love you for, an iced chai latte. But during this fall season, have it with pumpkin or the apple brown sugar syrup, chefs kiss! The mermaid/siren queen is just better, period.

Jenna: Disclaimer – I will always have peace and love for Dunkin, that’s the shit I grew up on. Countless road trips have involved a pitstop there for those cheap, watery hot chocolates that are FIRE. But when it comes down to the quality of my own favorite drinks (matcha, chai, and pumpkin spice lattes), I got to flip the switch and go with Starbucks. Again, it’s totally dependent on what location you go and I’ve got nothing but absolute praise for our on-campus location, Lake Effect Cafe. Over the past three years, they’ve been making the best drinks on campus and my favorite barista Kathy was my literal guardian angel. Whenever I was down, she would sprinkle a little extra drizzle or add some extra chocolate chips on top of my frappes *sobs.* Kathy, if you’re reading this – I MISS YOU.

Team Dunkin

Shannon: Damn, okay, I’ll be one to take the side of Dunkin’. I never even walked into a Starbucks until I was 13, and it was in Long Island over the summer of 2011. I’ll never forget the first drink I ever ordered — decaf latte with mocha. Somehow, the woman didn’t realize that a 13 year old had no idea how to order a drink (or she did this on purpose?!), and didn’t add any milk or sweetener to it. It was absolutely awful and totally overpriced! I’ve had Starbucks correctly since then, and I absolutely think their refreshers crush Dunkin’s. However, I think in terms of coffee, Dunkin’ trumps Starbucks. I also just think Starbucks tends to be overpriced anyway, but the price of bean water is probably an argument for another day. 

Mads: No hate towards Starbucks but there is no contest for me. Anything that is actual coffee from Starbucks is just not good and always tastes weak. Perhaps I’m biased because Dunkin’ is as close as I can get to Tim Horton’s (what I grew up with) but a frozen mocha coffee never lets me down. Also totally true about Starbucks prices as a college student I can’t afford to get the caffeine I need from overpriced coffee.

Carolyn: Personally, I prefer Dunkin Donuts over Starbucks. I like my coffee very sweet which is something Dunkin’ does best. My go-to drink from Dunkin Donuts is a cold brew with caramel and almond milk. I really like how Dunkin Donuts puts caramel sauce in their drinks rather than liquid syrup like Starbucks. I enjoy Starbucks too, but I don’t appreciate it when I go into Starbucks to get a drink and my name is misspelled on the cup. This is something that happens to me almost every time and it almost ruins my experience there.

Hi My name is Jasmine Britt and I am a student at SUNY Oswego. I am majoring in Mass Communications and Broadcasting with a minor in Arts Management.
Shannon Sutorius was an award winning 23-year-old English major, over 40-time-published author, editor, and former Teaching Assistant who graduated from SUNY Oswego in December of 2021. Shannon was one of the Campus Correspondents for Her Campus Oswego, previously Senior Editor, and wrote the Advice Column, "Dear Athena." Shannon worked with and had been published in Great Lake Review, Medium, and Subnivean. Shannon's awards included the Edward Austin Sheldon Award, Pride Alliance's Defender of LGBT+ Rights in Journalism Award, and the Dr. Richard Wheeler Memorial Scholarship. As well, Shannon was an active member of the Phi Kappa Phi Honor Society.
Jenna Wilson

Oswego '22

Jenna is a senior at SUNY Oswego majoring in Mass Communications and aiming for a Master's in Strategic Communications. Planning on working as a creative/art director, she’s also dreaming of yet another trip to Disney World. Jenna is also an avid lover of reality television, 90s music, and most of all, her family (and Bostons).
Erin is a Cinema and Screen studies major and a creative writing minor. She loves Disney and Horror movies, and her favorite director is Taika Watiti. Despite film and writing, she also loves art, baking, and musical theater. She is a July Cancer and her favorite holiday is Halloween.
Graphic design and creative writing major.
Briana K. Boateng is a section writer for Her Campus Magazine! She is senior with a major in Broadcasting and Mass Communications. She aspires to become an on-air talent, so anywhere that ranges from hosting, interviewing, anchoring, etc. Some of Briana's hobbies include eating out, watching interviews, as well as reading lifestyle articles. Being a part of Her Campus magazine enables her to enhance her experience as a broadcast journalist, expand her skills in writing, and as well as sharing, connecting, and inspiring her woman peers on the SUNY Oswego campus. Essentially, this is the purpose of this magazine: To empower other woman!
Carolyn is a senior at SUNY Oswego studying Public Relations and English. She is the Marketing & PR Director of Her Campus, as well as a peer educator for the counseling center. Outside of Her Campus, Carolyn enjoys watching movies with her friends, baking, and online shopping.