Is Sorority Life for You? Fall Rush 2015

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oswego chapter.

Have you always dreamed about being in a sorority or been curious about what being in a sorority is all about? Well, now you are in college and there are so many options to choose from.

Greek life is one of the largest communities here on the SUNY Oswego campus, comprised of four national sororities:

• Alpha Epsilon Phi,
  • Delta Phi Epsilon,
  • Phi Sigma Sigma,
  • Sigma Delta Tau;  

and four local sororities:

• Alpha Delta Eta,
  • Alpha Sigma Chi,
  • Omicron Xi,
  • Phi Lambda Phi.

Unfortunately, if you are a first semester freshman you are not allowed to become a part of any Greek Life organization on campus until your second semester, but don’t let that be a setback. You can look at it in two ways:

1. You are still able to go out and rush with the different sororities on campus as much as you want, with whomever you want, until you think that you have found the right place for you.

2. It allows for you to have a full semester to get acquainted with the college campus, get your classes under control and become adjusted to a new environment.

With that being said, rushing starts on Mon., Sept. 7 and will go for two straight weeks until Fri., Sept. 18. Every sorority on campus, national and local sororities alike, devise days that girls (or for terms sake, “rushes” or “potentials”) are able to come out with them and get to meet the sisters of the sorority. Each night may consist of a different themed mixer with a different national or local fraternity, and/or movie nights, bowling, spa nights, etc. with the sisters of that chapter.

It is all up to you, as a “potential,” to choose wherever you would like to go out for those two weeks and experience what each sorority is like. The main purpose of these two weeks is to allow you to get an idea of which group of girls you could best see yourself with. If you are a first semester freshman and rush this fall, it will give you the opportunity to have your ideal sorority in mind for the spring semester. But that doesn’t mean that you still have to stick with that sorority in the Spring. You’ll get to experience another two weeks of rush in the Spring and wherever you find yourself happiest is where you’ll want to make your best impression.

To make your best impression, it’s in your best interest to go out with the sorority you find the most intriguing and stick with them. Get to know the sisters on a more personal level so they can get to know you as well. Two weeks isn’t a really long time, but it certainly is enough time to get an idea about what sorority you could see yourself joining. In order to become a part of a sorority on campus, you must receive a bid from that sorority and meet SUNY Oswego’s GPA criteria (you have to at least have a 2.3) in order to become a sister of the specific chapter you sign your bid for.

“Joining a sorority is one of the best decisions I have ever made coming to college. I’ve found my best friends, I’ve opened my eyes to the good my organization can bring to the community, as well as all of the other organizations on this campus. Overall, we are one big Greek community. I have friends in other sororities, so even if you find your home one place and your friends find it elsewhere, that is OK. Rushing and joining a sorority brings great and positive experiences to your life which can help prepare you for life after college. It isn’t about the parties; it’s about working together to better yourself, chapter, organization, community, leadership skills, and overall outlook on life.” — Claudia DiCalogero

Good luck, and happy rushing!

I am a double major in English and Creative Writing. Writing is my passion, whether it be creative writing, poetry or journalism. I love sports. New York Giants, New York Rangers, and the New York Yankees. I am an animal lover, fashion fanatic and a hard working student. I am seeking a job position for a fashion magazine once I graduate college, in hopes to be a fashion journalist or editor of a magazine. I would also enjoy working in the fashion industry, even if it means I have to work my way up in the company. I am dedicated, hardworking and willing to learn new things if that means achieving my goals and success for not only myself but those around me as well.
Kari is currently a second semester junior at Oswego State majoring in both Journalism and Global International Studies. She's a big city girl who was born in a small town. When not studying for her classes or obsessing over Her Campus, she can be found splurging on nail polish, watching documentaries, reading magazines, crafting, drinking chai tea, or gushing about animals.