Samantha Yeh ’12

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oswego chapter.

After a whirlwind week of competing in Daytona, Fla. for a national cheerleading competition, where the Oswego State cheerleaders placed sixth, Sammy Yeh is living life to the fullest as her junior year quickly comes to a close. Find her roaming around campus and quickly drop a Harry Potter line or two, then open a door for her to catch her eye. Just don’t say cheerleading isn’t a sport or you may lose your shot just as fast! 

Nickname: Sammy

Age: 20 

Ethnic Background: Half chinese, half ginger (german + french) 

Hometown: Penfield, N.Y.

Major (s) and why: Journalism with a minor in political science because I love writing and I like understanding what’s going on in the world. 

Expected graduation year: May 2012

Relationship status: Single

Involvement on campus: I anchor for the campus news station, WTOP, I’m the secretary for the cheerleading team, and I’m a member in Ed2010 and the National Broadcasters Society.

Which three words describe you best: Outgoing, Motivated and Spontaneous.

What characteristics do you look for in a guy: Funny (I love guys who can make me laugh!), sweet (I’m a sucker for a true gentleman), and of course, cute! 

Idea of a perfect date: Something unique…I’m not a dinner and a movie type of girl.

What’s your biggest goal in life? To travel the world. I’d really love to go to Africa, but I want to see as many different places and experience as many different cultures as possible. 

Favorite TV show: Glee. Sam is the cutest! 

Who’s your favorite Glee cast member? Sue Sylvester — the show wouldn’t be the same without her. 

Favorite sport: Cheerleading, hands down.  I’ll always defend its sport status!

Random fact about you: I’m a Harry Potter fanatic! I read all seven books every summer. 

Where do you see yourself in 10 years? Hopefully in L.A. I want to be the female version of Ryan Seacrest. 

Favorite quote: “Let us step out into the night and pursue that flighty temptress, adventure” by Albus Dumbledore (I told you I’m a sucker for Harry Potter!) 

If you could be any type of candy, what would you be and why? Starburst! They’re colorful, sweet and you never know which flavor you’ll get next!

Samantha Shelton is a senior at SUNY Oswego with a dual major in journalism and creative writing. Hailing from a super small town that doesn't even have a stop light, Samantha enjoys soccer, spinning and trying any flavor of frozen yogurt imaginable! She has been the Managing Editor of her student newspaper, The Oswegonian, and completed the American Society of Magazine Editors (ASME) summer internship program in 2010 at FITNESS magazine. Samantha recently launched Ed2010 at Oswego State, a national networking organization that helps students break into the magazine industry. These days, (when she’s not running from class to class) you can find Samantha at the campus fitness centers, where she works as the PR student manager and a personal trainer; working with Colleges Against Cancer to help find a cure; or in a comfy cafe chair reading her latest pile of magazines.