etienne girardet Xh6BpT 1tXo unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
etienne girardet Xh6BpT 1tXo unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oswego chapter.

Ever since the day I got accepted into SUNY Oswego, I was ecstatic to find out who my roommate was going to be. When applying to this school, I did not know a single person – mainly because I live in the heart of New York City, which is about six hours away from Oswego. There was only one person from my high school that was attending this college as well. It was the end the March when I remember getting the email of who I was rooming with, a girl from Syracuse who seemed really nice and sweet. Based on first impressions, it looked like we would get along pretty well together. We exchanged phone numbers and started talking on a daily basis. We divulged a lot to each other about our personal lives and backgrounds, but most importantly, how we were so excited to dorm with each other.

It was move-in day and it was going very well, although it was very hectic. We were both setting up our belongings and deciding where everything went. Both of our families were getting to know each other and we started to form a comfortable bond. Once we met in person, she came off as very shy and did not know how to express herself well. I did not take it personally because I sometimes come across as being shy when meeting new people. Once we started hanging out more regularly, I started noticing our differences. We differed on music taste, clothing choice, and we were running on completely different schedules. She was an early bird and I am a night person. It was getting to the point where we couldn’t agree on anything. At this point, it seemed like it would be most beneficial if we each made our own friend groups and only hung out with each other in our room.

Getting through the semester is already tough enough with the pressure of doing well in classes and being a well-rounded student. There came a day where we went completely silent towards each other and felt really awkward. I did not want to stay in my room at all. She would make me feel so uncomfortable and it was a terrible feeling. We had to have several mediations because we would have many arguments. She went behind my back multiple times, spreading false information about me. When I confronted her about it, she would act as if she had no idea what I was talking about.

Luckily, right before Thanksgiving break, she took the initiative to pack up her bags and move two doors down. Ever since I’ve been living at ease in a much more comfortable environment.

My name is Melissa Wadler and I am currently a sophomore at Suny Oswego. I am a Wellness Management major with a minor in Business Administration. I hope to pursue a career within the health field, preferably managing a health facility. My interests/ hobbies are free writing, spending quality time with my friends, and anything involving art ! :)
Melissa Lee

Oswego '19

CC Melissa is a senior journalism major with a double minor in creative writing and political science at SUNY Oswego. She loves music, makeup, dogs, and napping. 95% of the time she can be found drinking way too much coffee or finding new music on Spotify.