This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oswego chapter.

R&B and pop music are frequently compared to “sad music,” however this association is usually absurd. Why are we forced to hear arbitrary judgments and criticism when we could just listen to music we connect with? Despite the fact that college students and individuals my age tend to rely on other things to get through tough situations, I can always count on music since it is soothing and relevant; particularly R&B music.

Since I was in sixth grade, R&B music has been my favorite genre of music. It is a subgenre of art that combines blues, gospel, and jazz elements. Personally, some of my favorite R&B performers right now include Summer Walker, SZA, Jhene Aiko, Keyshia Cole, and Tink. SZA’s “20 Something” and “Broken Clocks,” are included in both the 2017 release of her CTRL album and the 2022 release of the Deluxe version. Overall, the soundtrack was really relatable. This record appealed to me since I tend to overthink things a lot and have gone through several painful love experiences. SZA discussed her own experiences with love, envy, poor self-esteem, and the kind of contemporary love that most people encounter.

The song “Supermodel” opens with three incredible chords played by SZA. As I lay in bed listening to this enchantment, I start to get shivers. I’ve always used her music as a release since I enjoy listening to inspiring and personally meaningful music. Summer Walker is an excellent example of how we don’t need approval to convey that someone cares about us. The second installment of Summer’s first album, Still Over It, contains a message for her listeners which states,  “Stop making excuses for people who don’t show up for you. Don’t ignore the red flags. And don’t think you have to stay somewhere ’cause you can’t find better — you can and you will. Don’t settle for less — you don’t deserve it and neither does your family” (Summer Walker). This album exemplifies the idea that you shouldn’t stay in a place where you’re not welcome. It shows that love is demonstrated by deeds, hence it is inappropriate to excuse someone’s harmful behavior on the basis of your love for them. Overall, I’ve gone through a lot of competing stress and desire. R&B music helps me deal with those situations and reassures me that I’m not the only one who goes through those experiences.