Rain, Rain, Go Away

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oswego chapter.

The early days of spring in Oswego are much like winter: cold, cloudy and a few snow storms here and there. However, as the season progresses, snow turns to rain, the temperature rises and it’s still cloudy. This forecast has the potential to affect our mood, especially when there is a lack of sunlight for a prolonged period of time.

According to this website, sunlight or lack thereof, has the potential to impact mood because it affects the amount of Vitamin D people absorb. The article explains that Vitamin D is produced in the skin when it is exposed to sunlight. Vitamin D then changes serotonin levels in the brain—a hormone that plays a role in regulating mood—which then determines how we feel.

The article states that women are affected more by seasonal changes than men. Seasonal affective disorder (SAD) can be developed during the fall and spring seasons, with periods of remission in the spring and summer. Symptoms of SAD include depression, fatigue, weight gain, sleeping more and loss of interest in activities.

Due to the constant cloudy days at Oswego, students are very likely to experience mood swings. This time of the semester is also the worst time to be experiencing mood swings because it’s also finals week. The stress of finals and graduation can add more negativity to mood.

Although sunlight may be scarce these days at Oswego, there are several ways to help improve mood so that finals week (and beyond) are not dreadful. Some tips are: spend time with people who will lift your spirits up and keep you motivated, call a family member and have a venting session (this will help relieve any negative feelings) and meditate.

The weather is constantly changing, but that doesn’t mean your mood has to match the rainy days at Oswego.

I'm a junior. I like to read, watch T.V. and sleep. Aaaand that's it.