books on brown wooden shelf
books on brown wooden shelf
Susan Yin/Unsplash

The Pros and Cons of Group Projects

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oswego chapter.

Group projects; you’re bound to have at least one in your college career. They can be either a blessing or a curse, and that depends on many different factors: Who your group consists of, what the project is, how much work you have to do, and what type of class it is can all affect how your group project will work out. While a lot of students may groan at the proposal of group projects, there are some advantages to working in a group as well.

Con: Contacting Your Group Members

Getting in contact with your group members can be challenging. If you don’t swap numbers or emails beforehand, you have to take a chance and hope the person you email is the one in your group. Some people just ignore emails and messages, making it impossible to know if they read what you said or not. And if it’s something important, not knowing if they are aware of the situation can be frustrating.

Pro: Utilizing Different Strengths

When you get the chance to team up with other people, everyone brings their own strengths and knowledge to the table. If someone is particularly skilled in grammar, you can let them use that skill. One of your group members might be good at something you aren’t, so it’s helpful and can strengthen your work.

Con: Scheduling

If you get lucky and your entire group project can be done online, start hoping for the best. Scheduling is one of the most difficult aspects of working in a group; sometimes, it’s harder than the project itself! Finding a time when everyone is available gets more difficult with the more people there are in your group. Let’s face it, if you’re in a group of 4+ members, you’ll almost never find a time for everyone to meet up.

Pro: Socializing

Group projects force you to work with other people in your class. While some people think of that as a con, it’s an important skill to learn. Even if you dislike or don’t get along with everyone in your group, you’re learning to work with other people to achieve a task. But if you open yourself up, you might just make some life-long friends. Or at least you’ll have a friend in that class who you can rely on for help if need-be.

Con: Different Work Ethics

It can be difficult working with people who have different work ethics than you. If you’re a hard worker who likes to get things done ASAP, it can be difficult to have a group member who procrastinates and works up until the last possible second. Or, if you’re used to working on things at a slower pace, it can be frustrating to have someone in your group constantly bothering you to get your work done. Finding a balance between group members and their differing work ethics is key in order to succeed.

Pro: You Don’t Have to Do it Alone

Working in a group gives you the opportunity to split work between everyone. You don’t get stuck doing the work all by yourself. And if your project is hard, you have someone else you can fall back on for help. Another perk is that you don’t have to get up in front of the class and present your project alone, which can make all the difference in your confidence.

Mackenzie was the senior editor and Twitter manager for Her Campus Oswego. She was a double English and Journalism major at SUNY Oswego. She loves reading, video games, and a good cup of tea.
I'm known as kind of being a hippy who loves to meditate, do yoga, and listen to music. I'm always up for an adventure and am interested in living creatively, working for a bigger purpose, and continuing my adventures around the world!