leaves converse fall sneakers ground
leaves converse fall sneakers ground
Jackie Ryan / Her Campus
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oswego chapter.

Gilmore Girls was the crown jewel of the WB network from 2000 to 2007, entertaining us with endless pop culture references, its fall ~aesthetic~, and the ups and downs of MANY relationships. Like any television show, it had its good times and its bad times (don’t even get me started on the April storyline), so here’s the lowdown on the good, the bad, and the straight up insanity of Gilmore Girls.

My Odes: 

1. Dialogue, dialogue, and dialogue. Who doesn’t love witty banter with obscure pop culture references? As a pop culture junkie, I always get excited when Lorelai or Rory watch Grey Gardens, listen to Macy Gray CDs, or go to a Quentin Tarantino themed party. Everything in this show is early 2000’s I C O N I C.

2. Endgame: Luke and Lorelai. After torturing us for seven seasons, the writers FINALLY got Luke and Lorelai together in what seemed like a stable (a loose term for this show) place. First scene into Gilmore Girls, you know that they are soulmates, period. And let’s not forget about when the revival took the first song they danced to and put that in their wedding. THE DETAILS.

3. Kirk. Need I say more? In my opinion, Kirk is the most iconic character to come from this series. His homemade “films,” devotion to his satanic cat who is also named Kirk, and constant rotation of jobs in town are nothing short of legendary.

My Slams:

1. Rory just straight up effing up her life decisions. When you watch a television show like this, you expect the characters to grow with every season. NOPE. Rory’s character regresses each season. She is supposed to be the responsible one with everything together. What happened? Yes, we make mistakes as adults, but sleeping around and breaking up a marriage is excessive. Yikes. 

2. Not taking the opportunity to explore Lane’s character is a major disappointment. She had the potential to be more than Rory’s friend, but a deeper, complex character. We could have seen her develop into a grown woman with a career as a rock star and following her dreams. Instead, the writers married her off and got her pregnant before any of this could happen. What a waste.

3. That terrible, horrible, no good, very bad Season 7. Lorelai and Christopher getting married WITHOUT Rory there? Lane gets pregnant right after her honeymoon when her band is taking off? April IN GENERAL? What a mess, todo limpio.

No matter its highs and lows, ‘Gilmore Girls’ will always be a favorite show of mine because the message is all the same: where you lead, I will follow. <3

Jenna Wilson

Oswego '22

Jenna is a senior at SUNY Oswego majoring in Mass Communications and aiming for a Master's in Strategic Communications. Planning on working as a creative/art director, she’s also dreaming of yet another trip to Disney World. Jenna is also an avid lover of reality television, 90s music, and most of all, her family (and Bostons).
Victoria graduated from SUNY Oswego with a double major in Economics and Creative Writing and a minor in Statistics. When not writing, she loves reading, hiking, and watching the weirdest movies she can find. Victoria also adores dogs and banana bread with chocolate chips.