This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oswego chapter.

When you think of self-care, video games are an activity that might not come to mind immediately. Many games are challenging, have intensive inputs, and can be quite graphic or highly stimulating in nature. While these kinds of games certainly have their place for recreational purposes, there are plenty of other games that can actually be incorporated into your self-care routine. These games are relaxing thanks to their visually pleasing artwork and landscapes, soothing soundtracks, minimal inputs, and overall having low stakes and lots of creative freedom. If you’re looking for a way to switch up your routine for self-care, try out one of my five favorite games for mental health!

1. Celeste

Though it is a difficult platformer to beat, Celeste is a fun and forgiving game that is a great introduction to platform games. It has a great soundtrack, especially the songs on the B-Sides part of the game, and its visuals are pleasing to the eye. What makes Celeste so applicable to mental health, though, is its narrative. The game follows the story of Madeline, who fights her inner demons in order to climb Celeste Mountain. As you make your way through each level, you get closer and closer to the summit, while simultaneously Madeline is forced to come to terms with her mental health. 

While the game is fun to play for a mental break, the story hits home if you feel as though you are faced with insurmountable challenges too. Improving your mental health can often feel like climbing a mountain, and Celeste is a great reminder to take it one step at a time and that progress is not linear; you will fall, get stuck, and move backwards, but if you keep on going, you will get back on track and reach your own summit and goals. 

2. Terraria

In terms of sandbox games, Minecraft always seems to be in the spotlight. Since its release date back in 2011, Minecraft has stood the test of time and continues to be popular today. However, let me introduce you to another sandbox game that deserves equal praise and popularity: Terraria. A 2D sandbox game, Terraria is the perfect balance between action and adventure, and easy-going and low stakes gameplay. You can explore the world, find cute creatures and build elaborate houses, or you may choose to go after one of its many bosses and challenge it to a fight. 

There is no agenda in Terraria, no deadlines, and certainly no limits to what you can do or create. The world of Terraria is yours to mold, shape, and enjoy, making it a great outlet for creativity and relaxation. The game also lends itself to multiplayer gameplay as well, so it’s a great option for a casual activity to do with friends while chatting and catching up, without the social demand of having to go somewhere in person or see anyone. 

3. Gris

This game is the perfect combination of serene and engaging gameplay. Similar to Celeste, Gris also has a narrative focused on mental health, but its game developers chose a different and more unique way to tell the story: almost entirely through visuals alone. What results is an indie platformer full of metaphorical imagery, compelling use of perspective and movement, and a raw reflection of human emotions. The narrative centers on Gris, a young woman, as she navigates loss in her life; as you play through the game, you experience her grief, despair, resignation, and fear, and even further, her perseverance and hope. 

Though it’s great for a good cry, Gris is an opportunity to empathize with a character, as well be inspired by them. Even at her lowest moments, through your inputs Gris always finds a way out, creating a life full of color and hope for herself. With simple controls, gorgeous artwork throughout, and relaxing puzzles, Gris is an emotional but restorative experience to add to your self-care regimen. If you have not seen my latest article for Her Campus Oswego, take a peek here to read my full game review of Gris

4. Proteus 

Proteus is the epitome of relaxation: with no action, no way to “win,” and no text or dialogue, you are left to simply walk through the world and explore. This ambient game is a welcome opportunity for low mental stimulation without feeling bored or overwhelmed. The world consists of an ever-changing island that you walk through, experiencing the plant and animal life there. There is ample scientific evidence pointing to the benefits of taking a walk through nature, and though Proteus is only a simulator and unfortunately cannot give you fresh air or Vitamin D, it does offer a relaxing sensory experience. 

Though it may seem boring, Proteus is definitely worth playing if you’re looking to add more relaxation to your life. With abstract visuals and an immersive lo-fi soundtrack, it provides the perfect background for meditation, deep breathing, or just some moments of quiet reflection. It’s easy to pull up on your computer or laptop whenever you need to calm down, time to think, or wind down at the end of the day before bed. 

5. Death’s Door

Easy-going and simple games easily find their place in a self-care routine, but if you’re anything like me, sometimes you need a fun game that’s challenging enough to hold your attention when you just need a break from school or overthinking. That’s where games like Death’s Door come in. An action-adventure game, Death’s Door is full of puzzles, boss fights, and intricate characterization, and it also happens to be one of my favorite games overall. It boasts a cute but cool indie-aesthetic; you play as a small crow who works for the Reaping Commission Headquarters as a reaper, collecting the souls of creatures. You’re tasked with reaping the souls of characters that refuse to cross over to the other side, so it subtly hints at a theme of letting go, which can be an important part of caring for your mental health. 

Death’s Door is challenging, but it’s designed not to be frustrating to the player. It begins to reflect a soulslike game, but without the high difficulty and high risk aspects. There are plentiful checkpoints allowing you to fully restore your health, and though you reap souls as you go, you don’t lose them all after losing to a boss with only one chance of getting them back. This makes Death’s Door a gentle introduction to soulslikes, as well as an all-around enjoyable game. There is enough action and storytelling to immerse you in the world, while also providing nice music and pleasing visuals. If you need a distraction and a more engaging form of self-care, look no further than Death’s Door!

Allyson is currently pursuing a Bachelor's degree at SUNY Oswego, and is a double major in English and Broadcasting with a minor in Spanish. She is the CC of her college's chapter of Her Campus, as well as the Secretary of the Women's Club Ice Hockey team. She hopes to one day become an author of fiction novels and collections of poetry. When she is not writing or on the ice she enjoys spending her time reading, hiking, and watching anime.