This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oswego chapter.

2021 has already proven to be a year of picking up new habits. The past couple months, I’ve been reading more books on my shelf, and as a result, I’ve been adding new ones to my list. Through Instagram, friends, and general recommendations, I’ve slowly been picking up new books and adding them to my To-Be-Read list. The five books listed are the next five I plan on reading—maybe it’ll help you find a new book or two to give a shot!

Rule of Wolves by Leigh Bardugo.

This book has actually been on my list since December 2020, but it’s officially coming out at the end of March. I’m incredibly excited to get my hands on this book—it’s the second book in her King of Scars duology, and the hype around it has been growing ever since Leigh Bardugo announced its release date. This book has some of my favorite characters in it, and I can guess it will involve plot points that I’ve never seen Bardugo tackle before. Overall, I’m really excited for this book to come out this month, and I’m beyond ready to have it on my shelf. 

They Both Die At The End by Adam Silvera.

This is a book I’ve only ever heard good things about, and I’ve wanted to read it for a really long time. I was always too nervous to buy it, though, as I already had so many unfinished books sitting on my shelves. The title, as it implies, entirely spoils the ending, but the plot itself seems so intriguing. The two main characters, Rufus and Mateo, find out they’re going to die within 24 hours and decide to spend their last day together, living life as best they can. Death itself is a terrifying concept to me, but knowing exactly when it’s going to happen and having someone to spend that last day with (while having the knowledge of what will happen at the end) is an idea I never really thought of before. I’m looking forward to seeing if this book will change my mind on the concept of death, life, or even something as simple as friendship.

Serpent & Dove by Shelby Mahurin.

So, I’ll admit that this is one book I know nothing about. I’ve heard really good reviews from fellow book-friends, but the actual plot itself was entirely lost on me until I actually picked up and bought the novel. Even now, I still really don’t know what the book is about. I know two things firmly: 1, the cover is unbelievably pretty, and 2, it’s a fantasy novel. I almost like it this way, though; without knowing anything about Serpent & Dove, I get a fresh, exciting experience with new content I’ve only heard good things about. It was definitely a risk buying a book I know nothing about, but I’m excited nonetheless.

Red, White, & Royal Blue by Casey McQuiston.

This is another book I’ve heard really good reviews about. A lot of the fanmade content surrounding Red, White, & Royal Blue was just too adorable for me to resist, and the plot itself seems very sweet. It follows two boys, Henry and Alex, who are a prince and the son of the U.S. president (respectively), who initially can’t stand each other. They end up gradually falling in love, however, which contributes to tensions between Great Britain and the U.S. The concept of a prince and the president’s son falling in love just seems interesting to me, even if it’s only for the fact that it seems unlikely. I’d love to see how Casey McQuiston writes it out, and I can only hope Henry and Alex get a happy ending together.

Vicious by V.E. Schwab.

The last book on my TBR list for now is Vicious, the first book in a duology by V.E. Schwab. This is another book that I really know nothing about, but I liked the cover, prompting me to buy it. I know that isn’t the best way to go about buying books, but after reading the brief description on the back, I felt super attracted to the concept. The novel follows two college roommates who discover that, under the proper conditions, it is possible to develop superhuman abilities. It’s considered fantasy, which is right up my alley. It seems interesting, and I’m trusting the good reviews have led me in the right direction when it comes to owning this book.

Although my TBR list is significantly longer than the one I have above, these are the five I’m most looking forward to reading. I genuinely love reading, and I cannot wait to get to adding even more books to my reading list. I love hearing recommendations from others, and I’m always open to knowing what is popular at the time. I just can’t wait to see how my knowledge base and general enjoyment of reading expands as time goes on.

Tess (they / them) is a senior theater and creative writing double major at SUNY Oswego. They love reading, hanging out with friends, and writing in their free time.
Kailey is a Senior who double-majors in English and Adolescent Education. She has been a writer from the time she could hold a pencil and an aspiring teacher since 1st grade. She currently substitute teaches at a preschool and hopes to teach ELA and Creative Writing to high schoolers in the future. Kailey is an fervent reader, runner, and yogi who is happiest when laughing with loved ones or eating something full of sugar!