Meet Shelby Gallaro

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oswego chapter.

Name: Shelby Gallaro

Major: Psychology and Communication and Social Interaction

Year: Senior Hometown: Auburn, New York

What is your favorite thing about Oswego?

I love how passionate everyone is in their majors and extracurricular activities.

What organizations are you involved in on campus?

In the past, I was involved with Student Association and I was a Resident Assistant in Oneida Hall for two years. Now I’m interning with “It’s on Oz,” Oswego’s chapter of It’s on Us.

Can you explain what “It’s on Oz” is?

The goal is to raise awareness about gendered issues on campus and our community. We educate students on topics such as the percentages of students sexually assaulted. We also do bystander intervention training, which is helpful if you find yourself in a situation where you are a bystander.

What does your internship entail?

I mainly work on student outreach. I tabled at various events on campus and have done a takeover on all of the “It’s on Oz” social media accounts. I also orchestrated our efforts for the third anniversary of It’s on Us here at Oswego.

What are your plans after graduation?

Recently, I was accepted to attend Buffalo State into the Higher Education and Student Affairs Administration program. I’m hoping to work in student affairs in some capacity.

You always have the healthiest food! Do you have any tips for eating healthy in the dining hall?

My biggest tip would be reading the nutritional information of the food on the menu ahead of time. That way, when you get to the dining hall you won’t have to assume whether or not you’re eating bad. Also, never feel like you have to eat what’s on the menu. I find that the soups and salad bars are usually lower in calories than what they serve.

What do you like to do during your free time?

I always try and make time to go to the gym. I also enjoy watching Netflix and reading.

Do you have any pets?

I do! I have two cats, Marshall and Mia, and a dog named Raven.

Mackenzie was the senior editor and Twitter manager for Her Campus Oswego. She was a double English and Journalism major at SUNY Oswego. She loves reading, video games, and a good cup of tea.
I'm known as kind of being a hippy who loves to meditate, do yoga, and listen to music. I'm always up for an adventure and am interested in living creatively, working for a bigger purpose, and continuing my adventures around the world!