Luke Combs’s ‘Gettin’ Old’ Album Review

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oswego chapter.

Anyone who listens to country music knows and loves country superstar Luke Combs. If you don’t listen to country, this guy may convert you.

Combs’s newest album Gettin’ Old was released March 24, 2023, and I have not been able to stop listening to it. He describes the album as a representation of his current life stage – all the feelings he feels, all the lessons he’s learned so far. After recently marrying and becoming a father, finding monster success in the industry, and reflecting on everything that has brought him to this point, he created an honest album that makes you think.

I encourage anyone to give some of the songs a listen whether country is your thing or not! I’m sure you’ll find a song that speaks to you.

Here are my personal favorites off his 18-song album, Gettin’ Old:

1. “Love You Anyway”

This is a beautiful bittersweet song about having no regrets in loving someone who broke your heart. The song says, “Even if I knew the day we met you’d be the reason this heart breaks, I’d still love you anyway.” Someone once told me of how relatable this very sentiment is once you’re older and looking back on past relationships.

2. “Where the Wild Things Are”

This song tells the story of a man’s love for his brother who had a free spirit. The song highlights some good times the brothers shared and tells how the free-spirited brother had moved out west to “where the wild things are.” The life of the brother comes full circle when the lyrics reveal the brother dies in a tragic car accident. He was then buried still, “out where the wild things are,” where he belonged.

3. “Fast Car”

This song is Combs’s cover of Tracy Chapman’s original “Fast Car,” and I have to say, it is an exceptional cover. I can’t say I really even paid much attention to the lyrics or what the song was even about before I listened to this cover. His story-telling voice just draws you in.

4. “Take You With Me”

This song is a reflection of your experience as a child compared to that of becoming a parent. It describes how the phrase, “I’ll take you with me” was used by Combs’s dad – “I’ll take you with me” to learn how to drive, to do a job. Now a parent, Combs knows how special it is to have that kind of father-son relationship. The lyrics go “Didn’t know back then how much those words would mean / ‘I’ll take you with me’.”

5. “Growin’ Up and Gettin’ Old”

As you can probably gather, this song pretty much captures the entire sentiment of the album. As Combs has gotten older, some things have changed. He’s perfectly happy staying at home with his family and “slowing down,” but he takes pleasure in knowing he can still go do the fun things he used to do when he was young – he’s just wiser about how and when to do them. :)

Even though I have favorites here, I always say, “Luke Combs can never put out a bad song.” He’s just that good! So, happy listening! 

Hi, I'm Bailey and I'm a junior at SUNY Oswego from Rochester, NY! I have passions for writing and storytelling, as well as health and wellness. I also love music, sports, being in nature, and spending time with family and friends.