Losing Weight: Obsessing Over the Scale

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oswego chapter.

So if you’ve been following my blog posts, I have mentioned how it is okay to be bad every now and again, especially over spring break. I stepped on the scale today and I weigh 149.5 pounds, a whole pound more than when I started. But, I’m okay with that. Spring break was the only time I didn’t work out and when I let myself enjoy some London treats.

So here’s a tip I go by: if you put on a pound or two, don’t freak out! It is bad to freak out because let’s face it, you’re going to want to make up for it, right? But the problem with that is then you become obsessed with it.

So you gained a couple of pounds. You can still work it off! Don’t go crazy on your workouts or push yourself harder or starve yourself because you let yourself slip a bit. It’s really not that big of a deal. You’re just going to cause yourself stress, which is bad on the body and on the mind.

I know this because over the summer I got way too obsessed with being thin that even when I got down to 125 pounds, it didn’t feel good enough for me. It made me cranky to people I cared about, I did not enjoy any of the foods I liked and worst of all, I was getting down on myself. You do not want to be this way. I want to get back down to 125 again, and I know I will because I’ve done it before.

It just might take some time, but you won’t feel stressed out and you’ll be happy with yourself for having fun and losing weight.

Another tip: every few weeks, switch up your workout. It could be anything from increasing your resistance and incline on a machine to lifting heavier weights or doing more reps. Just remember to take it slow, and only do what you can handle. Good luck, ladies!

Samantha Shelton is a senior at SUNY Oswego with a dual major in journalism and creative writing. Hailing from a super small town that doesn't even have a stop light, Samantha enjoys soccer, spinning and trying any flavor of frozen yogurt imaginable! She has been the Managing Editor of her student newspaper, The Oswegonian, and completed the American Society of Magazine Editors (ASME) summer internship program in 2010 at FITNESS magazine. Samantha recently launched Ed2010 at Oswego State, a national networking organization that helps students break into the magazine industry. These days, (when she’s not running from class to class) you can find Samantha at the campus fitness centers, where she works as the PR student manager and a personal trainer; working with Colleges Against Cancer to help find a cure; or in a comfy cafe chair reading her latest pile of magazines.