Live Life and Start a Bucket List

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oswego chapter.

People assume that bucket lists are made when they’re reaching their mid-life crisis or when they discover they have a fatal disease. Why is it that people wait so long to start LIVING. That’s what bucket lists do; They force us to get out of our comfort zone to have a less ordinary life.

Most of you reading this are in your 20s and this is the best time to start! As I’m growing older, I’m looking more at my life and seeing what I can do to get closer to what I want to do or be. The main thing I want my life revolved around is adventure and living life instead of just surviving. So my bucket list reflects that.

Now keep in mind, bucket lists don’t have to be crazy or luxurious things, like, being able to buy your own island and learn how to surf while doing a headstand. If anything, bucket lists should be simple and fairly realistic, but also exciting and a dream worthy experience.

I already have some things crossed off my list, like learning how to longboard and going to a sunflower field. These are just a couple of examples of simple things I’ve seen people do in person, in pictures, or was just curious about trying. It’s the simple things in life that can make you happy and make you live a more exciting life.

Here are some questions you can start thinking about before starting your list:

What are you afraid of?

If you never face your fears, life would be so boring! Try to remember the last time you were scared. Isn’t that the moment when you feel the most alive? You begin to be aware of how you’re body is reacting to that moment; Your heart skips a beat, you feel a little ancy, your lips start to dry up. I know, not the most appealing feeling, but you’re present and the majority of the time we aren’t living in the moment. My biggest fear is performing in front of people, but I want to perform for open mic before I graduate because I want to continue proving to myself that I can face my fears. And I know all of you can do the same!

What kind of life do you imagine yourself living?

Are you a person that falls into the trap of routine, but want to break out of that? Yep, definitely been there. That’s one of the main reasons I started a bucket list. I’m a very practical person that finds comfort in routine, but I know I don’t want to live the same routine everyday because I see myself living a more exciting and spontaneous life. Maybe you want to live a more peaceful life because you fall easily into a lot of stress. So you can put something like going to your first yoga class or even go on a yoga retreat if you’re feeling really adventurous. Make your bucket list fun and something that will help you grow and make new experiences.

What have you always wanted to do?

No matter how meaningless it might mean to someone else, there might be something you have always wanted to try. It can be anything from trying sushi for the first time because you live in a neighborhood where there aren’t any Japanese restaurants to learning how to ride a bike. Bucket lists are special to each individual person so don’t be discouraged because you think you’re list isn’t as cool as the next person.  

I encourage all of you to step a little bit out of your comfort zone while you’re young and get out of the ordinary and into the extraordinary. Live a life you’re proud to call your own!

I'm known as kind of being a hippy who loves to meditate, do yoga, and listen to music. I'm always up for an adventure and am interested in living creatively, working for a bigger purpose, and continuing my adventures around the world!