This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oswego chapter.

It’s that time of year again when the debate over when is the appropriate time to start playing Christmas music resumes. Whether you think Christmas music should be played at the beginning of November or at the beginning of December, everyone can agree that when we do start playing the music, we play the same songs over and over again—the same ones as the year before. I for sure love Christmas music, but I’ve gotten tired of hearing the same 20 songs. 

I compiled a list of some less “mainstream” Christmas songs for your listening pleasure – you probably have never heard of at least a couple of them. Nonetheless, these songs are amazing and deserve to be appreciated:

“Aspenglow” – John Denver

This Christmas song is so peaceful and calm. I think it is John Denver’s prettiest Christmas song. He wrote it about Aspen, a resort town in Colorado. According to Songfacts, there is a celebration in Aspen every year called Winterskol where many skiers ski down the mountain holding torches – this is the “aspen glow.” 

“Merry Christmas Darling” – The Carpenters

This Christmas song is another oldie but a goodie. It is a simple broken-hearted ballad. The singer longs to be with her love on Christmas. She finds joy in the holiday, but she cannot help but miss the way things used to be. 

“Home This Christmas” – Justin Bieber ft. The Band Perry

This is one of my mom’s favorite modern Christmas songs. Of all the underrated original Christmas songs off of Justin Bieber’s Under The Mistletoe album, this is the best. In this duet, the woman is driving through a winter storm and the man is praying she gets home safe. Knowing she will get to be with her love on Christmas is what is pulling her through. 

“The Mistletoe Jam (Everybody Kiss Somebody)” – Luther Vandross

This Christmas song is hilarious and upbeat for playing at parties and other holiday gatherings. The song starts with a man pleading with a woman for her to stand under the mistletoe with him. She won’t because “The last time she got under that thing” with him, “she had twins!”

“With a Christmas Heart” – Luther Vandross

This Luther Vandross song encapsulates the true meaning of Christmas. The lyrics reflect on how loving “with a Christmas heart” is how we should live every day. In contrast to the last song I listed by Luther Vandross, this song has a religious take. If you ever have the chance to check out his Christmas album, This is Christmas, give it a listen – it is an absolutely beautiful album. I grew up listening to it because my mom had the CD. 

“Merry Christmas Baby” – Otis Redding

I would say this is probably a bit of a more well-known Christmas song but I do not think this version is too well-known. I love the blues-y feel of this song; the brass instrumentals are fresh compared to the orchestral and stringed music we hear on mainstream Christmas radio. 

“Celebrate Love” – Jordan Pruitt

This song is off a Disney Channel Christmas album I owned growing up and it is actually really nice! It is a soft pop song about taking Christmas as an opportunity to celebrate love, family, and giving. 

Enjoy!

Hi, I'm Bailey and I'm a junior at SUNY Oswego from Rochester, NY! I have passions for writing and storytelling, as well as health and wellness. I also love music, sports, being in nature, and spending time with family and friends.