This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oswego chapter.

As the 3rd week of classes ends we’re 1/5th of the way done with the semester. How do you like that? I just got here and now all of a sudden I’ve been here for almost a month? I reject that, but the calendar proves this claim to be quite true. 

I’m not sure if it’s something in the air, but I have nothing but positive feelings about the semester. Okay, mostly positive. But nonetheless the good attributes such as meeting new friends, seeing old ones,taking a walk by the lake, and being a part of clubs on campus outweigh the writing papers and due at midnight quite heavily. Many people that come to college have future aspirations outside of the party scene, yet it is still nice to indulge when we get the chance. Or maybe every chance you get, that’s up to you. Personally, I do enjoy a party here and there. However I’ve adapted the idea that parties are not only fun, they’re a sense of togetherness with people in your own age range and social groups. Coming out of a pandemic, I was very antisocial and sort of isolated to begin with before covid due to my own circumstances. In college however, I’ve found myself to flourish being around people close to my own age and a general sense of belonging here. 

This semester is proving to be the best yet, I’m seeing my friends almost every day and enjoying as much time with them as possible. Especially since we were all busy with our things and living on opposite ends of the campus last semester, we get to see each other more frequently. That also means we get to have parties more frequently. And honestly, it’s so nice to have more time spent forgetting about responsibilities for a few hours every weekend and focus solely on making memories. I personally have spent so much time worrying. Worrying about every single thing I could possibly worry about. Like the future, and not being successful. Like pushing my focus towards one subject because I want the perfect grade in that class. Basing my actions on my anxiety as opposed to on what’s best for me in that particular moment. Many people may be guilty of this as well, but this semester has brought a nice change in pace for me. 

There’s such a negative association between partying and being a college student, as if we’re supposed to spend every day focused on school and every moment in the library. But it’s okay to unwind, and relax once in a while. Or if you’re me, every weekend you and your friends are both free. Personally I don’t think partying equates to slacking at all, so long as you’re still accomplishing what you need to in the academic world. I find that it’s such a unique way to meet and bond with people your own age, especially in college. It’s so hard to make new friends, and clubs and social gatherings always proved the best method for me personally. 

So for this week, my advice is go to a party when you have time, be safe, be smart about the choices you make, be kind, be yourself and your people will come to you.

Kayla Hill

Oswego '25

My name is Kayla, I joined HerCampus, to explore my potential as a writer. I'm passionate for writing poetry, but have done other forms of creative writing in the past. When I'm not writing, I dual major in Sociology and Criminal Justice, with a Photography Minor. When I graduate, I plan to follow my dreams wherever they take me!