Katie Short: Her Campus Oswego’s Campus Correspondent

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oswego chapter.

Name: Katie Short

Year: Junior

Major: Creative Writing and Political Science

Being a music lover, what gravitates you towards certain genres of music?

Nothing in particular! If I like the sound of a song, I’ll listen to it. I always tell people that I don’t have a music taste; it’s whatever makes my ears “happy.” I try to listen to everything.

What do you look for in a friendship?

Honestly, someone who is really loyal and supportive. Someone who has seen your absolute worst, knows all of your flaws, and still stands by you. I had a friend who I thought I was close with, but if I was ever upset, she’d completely dismiss my feelings or get angry at me for feeling sad or mad. It took me a long time to realize that just wasn’t healthy. A true friend is there for you, lets you vent, and doesn’t disregard how you feel.

If you were to start a blog, what would it be and why?

This is such a good question, wow. I would honestly have a fashion blog. I love fashion! I love reading Vogue and Teen Vogue and looking at all the fashion spreads. I also keep up with a lot of fashion bloggers on Instagram and Tumblr who inspire my own style. I want to break into the fashion industry someday, so I think starting a fashion blog would be really helpful.

What is your favorite thing about being the co-editor-in-chief of Her Campus’ Oswego chapter? What do you hope to get out of it?

It’s so hard to pick just one. . .but I’d definitely say the experience it gives me. I loved both writing and editing, but I never really experienced the editing side of writing for things like Her Campus until I became CC. I like editing pieces as well as working with the rest of our wonderful team. Being CC has really taught me how to be an even better planner, public speaker and a leader. I hope to just get as much experience as I can out of it, especially leadership. It’s not easy leading a team of 20+ people, editing articles, planning events, and trying to stay sane at the same time, but I love being CC so much. It’s a great opportunity.

What is your favorite thing to do when you’re bored?

Probably catch up on TV or read/write. I love reading a good book or writing some poetry in a coffee shop on my days off – which there aren’t many of sadly.

What do you hope people see you as?

You know, when I was younger I always wanted people to see me as “pretty” or “funny,” but when I entered my freshman year of college, I realized how ridiculous that was. When you’re young, you want people to like you so much, because the early to mid teen years are so confusing. You’re insecure about how you look and you’re trying to find your identity, while also trying to fit in at the same time. The old me would definitely want to be known as the “pretty, stylish girl,” but now, I would rather just be known as smart, strong, and kind. Especially kind. I read this quote once and it was something like, “People will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel,” and that changed my perspective on everything.

I'm known as kind of being a hippy who loves to meditate, do yoga, and listen to music. I'm always up for an adventure and am interested in living creatively, working for a bigger purpose, and continuing my adventures around the world!
Katie Short

Oswego '18

Katie is a recent graduate of SUNY Oswego, where she double-majored in Creative Writing and Political Science and a minor in Journalism. She was the Co-Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Oswego as well as a Chapter Advisor. Katie hopes to get a job in writing, editing or social media.