Life > Experiences

It’s Okay To Outgrow Friendships

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oswego chapter.

As I’ve grown up and have experienced many milestones in my life, I’ve realized that I struggle with the thought of leaving people behind or forgetting them. I never want to lose someone that I have shared a connection with because in some ways, they have helped me become who I am. I truly believe that who we become stems from the interactions that we have had with others. I enjoy certain songs, eat certain foods, and remember certain things all because people in my life have influenced me. That is why when we experience a breakup or loss of friendship, we can feel so much pain because we don’t want to lose a once healthy, mutual relationship. 

It has taken me time to realize that we as humans are meant to evolve and change, so it only makes sense that we may change in ways that others do not. For me, there will always be sadness at losing a connection that I once had, but it’s important to stay positive and realize that you have so much more life to live and more connections to make. After all, there are billions of people on this planet, so it is safe to say that we are bound to meet more people and gain new experiences. 

The hardest transition of my life was leaving my hometown to attend college and realizing that I had become a different person. College has introduced me to so many different cultures and concepts, and being here has helped me understand who I am as a person. The only downfall is that changing formed a disconnect since I am no longer the person I once was with my previous friends. Once this happened, it was hard to interact in the same manner without feeling like an imposter. Oftentimes people call it childish to unfriend someone due to political or social issues, but when you are someone who stands firmly in your values, it can be hard to want to remain friends with someone who believes so differently. This doesn’t mean that you are evil or rude, but it means that you feel a different way and can make the decision to protect your personal peace. Sometimes protecting our personal peace means cutting people or things out of our lives that cause us harm. 

Cherish those memories that you did make and understand how they have shaped you as a person, but continue to be authentically you. It’s already hard trying to not be forced into a box created by society, so do not force yourself into another box trying to act like a previous version of yourself.

I will always value the friendships and connections that I have made in my journey of life, but I am excited for what the future holds and I look forward to all of the new people that I will meet.

The possibilities are endless, so continue working towards your goals and have faith that everything will be okay.  <3

Jaylea Ransom is a communication major at SUNY Oswego and plans to attend graduate school for a master's in business administration. When Jaylea is not reading, writing, or completing work for an internship, you can find her watching Netflix or listening to music.