Career > Her20s

It’s Okay to Have FOMO Over Valentine’s Day…Here’s a Few Ways to Still Have Fun or Enjoy Not Celebrating

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oswego chapter.

Valentine’s Day is right around the corner, but some might feel like they have been feeling down over the loving holiday. Maybe you just broke up with someone, are in a sticky situation, or just could be single. Whatever the reason behind your FOMO (fear of missing out) is valid, there can be some ways to either have fun on the holiday or just be grateful to not celebrate it. 

The Continuation of Galentine’s Day:

Galentine’s Day is a holiday that was created in the comedy, “Parks and Recreation.” In the second season of the television series the main character, Leslie Knope, announces that the thirteenth of February is Galentine’s Day. A day that consists of ladies hanging out with their ladies. Now Knope’s way was to do this day by grabbing breakfast and hangout with your friends, but you can expand your events beyond breakfast. 

Although this day falls one day before Valentine’s Day, a fun way to participate in the holiday is to continue Galentine’s Day for one more day. Some fun ideas to branch out could be by going out to eat or spending a night out on the town, hosting a stay-at-home together where you could act as your bartender or chef, baking cookies or other holiday treats, going to the movies together, even karaoke, the list is endless and just depends on what you and your friends like to do. 

Fake Couple Idea:

Now you may have read this idea and been confused or thought it was weird. However, the fake couple idea has been a trend in the last year or so through social media. Usually, a pair of friends will act as a couple out in public, however, no one knows they aren’t a couple except for them. Now on Valentine’s Day, this could be fun as you still get to come out and enjoy events that might be directed at couples and you can also just live a double life for a day. Some people who have also done this trend, have even gone as far as a fake proposal with a small ring box. Now I’m not saying you don’t have to go that far, but you might get a free dessert or drink at a restaurant if you do. 

Spend it Talking or Hanging Out With Family:

If you are experiencing FOMO on Valentine’s Day, talking or hanging out with your family might help. Some people might have had parents put together a Valentine’s Day gift or helped make cards or sweets for an event at school regarding the holiday. So now that we are grown up, we can return the favor and put something together or make something for the ones who loved us first. Even if you might not have a lot of money to spend on a gift, visiting home or calling up some of your family are also ways to show your love and appreciation back to them.

Self-Care Day:

The last way to have fun is to treat yourself to a self-care day. You can do this in multiple types of ways. Some might relate a self-care day with ordering their favorite food, picking up a sweet treat, taking off or leaving work early, and coming back to hang out at home. Others might use a self-care day to go to the gym, take up a pottery class, buy a piece of jewelry or clothing, or even make a new playlist. Like the ideas of Galentine’s Day, the list is endless and is just up to the person to decide on what they would like to do. So rather than have FOMO, use it as a day to relax and celebrate yourself as well. Also, don’t forget to save some money aside for the Valentine’s Day clearance that will come the next day if you like candy. 

Some Reasons to Enjoy Not Celebrating:

Above I pointed out some ways to have fun this Valentine’s Day, but even if you don’t celebrate it at all or want to try these ways there are still reasons to enjoy not taking part in any celebration. 

Such as saving money. The amount of money that some people spend can be shocking, but here you don’t have to worry about spending money at all on someone else if you don’t celebrate it. Not having to spend money also helps people who might have anxiety trying to plan gifts. Sometimes when gift-giving it can be hard if you are nervous about putting something together or how much someone might even be spending on you to try to find a balance.

Another way to enjoy not celebrating could be acknowledging that this is simply just a silly little holiday. Yes, many celebrate it, but when it comes down to it, it is just a day and a new day will start. So, even if you feel like it could be a day of FOMO it is only temporary, not to mention if it might help, you could even take the day off of social media. 

Overall, I hope this post was able to help some of you reading this. As I said at the beginning, you might be going through a rough patch in your love life or maybe you just don’t feel inclined to the holiday, but if you experience FOMO during this time of year, it could help to try some of these ideas or mindsets out. Finally, remember whether you celebrate Valentine’s Day or not that you are loved by many and to always love yourself first.

Hello, I am Leila LaJoie (she/her). I go by Leila, but sometimes people call me Laine. I am a 21-year-old in my final year of undergrad at SUNY Oswego. I double major in Journalism and English, so I have always had a love for writing in general. In my free time I enjoy writing, reading, dancing, listening to music and going on walks. As far as what I focus on while writing, I'm very open, it really depends on what I'm into at the moment as well as what is going on around my environment. I am grateful for the opportunity to start this journey on Her Campus, as it will allow for me to have a writing outlet that can kickstart and further me into my career. It also will allow me to hear more about others' stories and experiences. A stepping stool if you will to my future and connections to be made.