The Insane 2015 VMAs: What?!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oswego chapter.

The MTV Video Music Awards, yet again, was a night that left plenty of people gossiping the next day. They had the one and only, carefree, M.C., hosting the VMAs this year. And just in case you aren’t familiar with the abbreviation, it stands for twerking sensation, Miley Cyrus. Seeing her name as the host itself set the vibe for the entire night.

This year, the theme was “Same Love,” in celebration for the passing of legislation this year granting same-sex couples the ability to get married. There were a lot of colorful performances, with sassy and fun drag queen speakers and dancers there in honor.

There were also plenty of achievements, bawling eyes, comedy, politics, confrontation and … boobs. Yes, of course, we can’t forget the cliché boob slip.

From Miley Cyrus’ near naked, crazy outfits, to Kanye West and Nicki Minaj raising the roof with drama and lots of talk, here is a recap of nothing but the most bizarre and insane moments:

For starters, Nicki Minaj wowed the crowd with her amazing kickoff. The infamous Young Money star sat on a throne of men (yes, literally, a throne of live human beings) to perform her hit song, “Trini Dem Girls,” before sharing the stage with her former twitter rival, Taylor Swift. Ironically, as she walked up to Minaj to start performing her hit song, “Bad Blood,” the crowd was shocked to see them sharing the same color outfits side by side. And then the next big thing happened … they hugged. Feud demolished. But right when we thought we were drama free (or, in this case, Minaj was drama free),  she did something unexpected. While accepting her award for her hit “Anaconda,” she had no fear in confronting Cyrus while still on stage …  In front of the crowd … On the microphone! Her exact words were, “And now back to this b*tch that had a lot to say about me the other day in the press. Miley, what’s good?!”

Cyrus immediately shot a face at Minaj and said, “Hey, we’re all in this industry, we all do interviews and we all know how they manipulate sh*t” Cyrus then continued the show, leaving the audience and viewers in complete and utter shock. Like … What. Just. Happened.

Next up is Justin Bieber. The very same Biebs who was booed off stage in 2013 at the Billboard Music Awards and stripped at the “Fashion Rocks” show in 2014. After a killer performance to his new song, “What Do You Mean,” he broke down in tears (and not because he was booed this time but because everyone cheered him on and he felt accepted again). The performance was great and if you weren’t a Belieber then, I’m sure you are now.

And now we get into the good stuff … Kanye West. Every time one hears this name I’m sure cringes in anticipation for what’s to follow. After his 13 minute long speech, West ended things by smacking everyone in the face with a very interesting announcement.

“I have decided in 2020 to run for president.”

Is that real?

So, there you have it. The MTV VMA awards. A classic and iconic night.

Kari is currently a second semester junior at Oswego State majoring in both Journalism and Global International Studies. She's a big city girl who was born in a small town. When not studying for her classes or obsessing over Her Campus, she can be found splurging on nail polish, watching documentaries, reading magazines, crafting, drinking chai tea, or gushing about animals.