This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oswego chapter.

Allyson

I am definitely the most thankful for the wonderful people I have in my life that have stuck by my side. They all mean so much to me and I am so grateful to have friends and family that I know I can count on. I have also found myself appreciating small things more and more throughout this pandemic. I am grateful for the little things like the first snowfall, a great dinner with my boyfriend, and when I receive positive feedback from my professors. I think it’s important during this time of uncertainty and anxiety to focus on what you do have and show gratitude for those things, even as simple as the health of you and your family. I have been much happier lately as I have focused on these good people, things, and moments and how thankful I am for them. 

Jordyn

With my mental health just completely deteriorating with everything going on this semester, I have learned to acknowledge the things that I am thankful for. There are so many things that have helped me cope with my anxiety and depression that I thank every single day. My friends, especially the new ones I’ve made this year, are all incredible. Every single person in my life that I consider my friend is just wonderful. I know I can go to any one of them and talk for hours. I’m also thankful for my family. Without them, I have no idea where I would even be. My brother and sister-in-law are always there for me when I have a bad day. I just go to their apartment and cuddle with their dog, Harper, who I am also so thankful for. Along with that, I’m thankful for my dog, Bailey. She has her flaws, but she’s a sweet angel to me and she makes me feel better every day. There’s nothing better than curling up with her and taking a nap. I am thankful for this organization for showing me how to be a better person and forcing me to step out of my comfort zone in tough situations. I’ve made so many lifelong friends in this org and I couldn’t be happier. To everyone in my life, past and present, I’m thankful for our memories and the memories to come.

Nirdishtha

This year, I am thankful for my strength, the love I’ve gotten from my friends and family and having access to things. Whenever I talked to my friends and my siblings back home (I’m from Nepal), I could tell that they were struggling with the lack of good internet, and an education system that is ridiculously far behind in terms of technology. Being able to have this amount of access and not have my education hampered with due to lack of resources is wonderful. I am thankful for the mentors that I have on campus who have helped me every step of the way, even with small, irrelevant things. I am also thankful for technology for giving me the ability to talk to my friends and family that live thousands of miles away on another continent. 

Jess

I’m thankful for the personal growth I achieved this year. 2020 has definitely been full of more downs than ups, but it’s really helped put things into perspective for me. It’s helped me to see what’s really important in my life, and I have a lot to be thankful for. I’m thankful for the new set of friends I made at school this year who go above and beyond for me. I haven’t had many people in my life like that up until this point, so it’s a new thing for me that I’m loving. I’m thankful that I’m in a healthy relationship and was able to celebrate my five-year anniversary with my boyfriend this summer. Even though I’m at school and he’s at home doing online classes right now, we’ve been able to talk more than usual this semester and I’d say our relationship is stronger than ever. I am super thankful for my horse Freckles, who is single-handedly the most important thing in my life. We’ve taken huge strides together this summer, both in our relationship and riding career, things that I’ve been dreaming about doing for years. I’m thankful for my close-knit friend group who are literally my second family. It makes me happy to know that I have best friends that I can look forward to seeing when I come home. And finally, I’m thankful that I have a loving and supportive home to go back to at the end of every semester, along with two cute, personable rabbits.

Kailey

I’ve been feeling super thankful for my job lately. Firstly, it was such a relief to secure a (higher paying) job after losing one to the pandemic.  But more importantly, it is definitely the best job I’ve ever had.  I’m a substitute teacher at a preschool/alternative elementary school and I absolutely love it.  It is not only my first job (somewhat) relevant to my future career, but also just doesn’t even feel like work.  When I’m there it just feels like I’m doing something I’m supposed to be doing.  I’m learning so much, and I make great connections with my coworkers and students every day. Even though there have been some scary, gross, and discouraging situations, I know that every time I clock in I will have a cute moment with a student or two and that someone will make me giggle and feel warm inside.  It is such a meaningful job and it has made me realize I am right where I need to be.  Other than that, I’m thankful for that feeling I get when I turn in an assignment I know I put my heart into and did well on. Being this far into my degree, I finally feel like the work I do matters. I am inspired to do good work and it has been so rewarding. I’m just so grateful to have finally reached this point!  And, as always, I am so so thankful for my loved ones, their health and my own, and the opportunities I have every day to make a difference and to be happy and fulfilled.

Allyson is currently pursuing a Bachelor's degree at SUNY Oswego, and is a double major in English and Broadcasting with a minor in Spanish. She is the CC of her college's chapter of Her Campus, as well as the Secretary of the Women's Club Ice Hockey team. She hopes to one day become an author of fiction novels and collections of poetry. When she is not writing or on the ice she enjoys spending her time reading, hiking, and watching anime.
Jordyn is a Biology major with a minor in creative writing at SUNY Oswego. She hopes to open a rehabilitation center for wildlife in the future. She's very passionate about animals and spreading awareness for animal rights. She also enjoys drawing and painting.
Nirdishtha Raj Sapkota is a Journalism and Graphic Design double major with a minor in Creative Writing. She loves indie and lofi music. You'll probably find her eating spicy and sour food or running around yelling for no particular reason. 
J Sforza

Oswego '22

Kailey is a Senior who double-majors in English and Adolescent Education. She has been a writer from the time she could hold a pencil and an aspiring teacher since 1st grade. She currently substitute teaches at a preschool and hopes to teach ELA and Creative Writing to high schoolers in the future. Kailey is an fervent reader, runner, and yogi who is happiest when laughing with loved ones or eating something full of sugar!