Ideas to Survive the Winter Blues

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oswego chapter.

I know what you’re thinking; the weather is starting to change, you’re pulling out that heavy North Face and praying that when you open the blinds in the morning it’s not a gloomy day. That’s right; winter is well on its way and often times that can bring a bit of depression to anyone who has love for a nice tan.

Studies have shown that during the winter months individuals are more prone to depression. But why is that? This season gets a bad rap considering all the awesome things it has to offer! So let’s make a pact to kick that slump of yours and make winter the best season yet. Here are a few things you can do to brighten your mood even when nature decides to bring on the gloom.

Get outside! Yes it may be cold, but this is the perfect time to show off your outdoor ensembles. Check out the trends for coats this winter. The November issue of Cosmopolitan Magazine has a page dedicated to the 5 must-have coasts this winter, ranging from styles perfect for the workweek, weekend fun and even a fancy event.

But don’t stop there; explore T.J. Maxx and Old Navy for great deals on hats, gloves and scarves. These accessories are the perfect way to tie together a simple coat and make that outfit pop. See, now there’s no need to fear looking like a giant marshmallow in a puffy coat when you go out!

Still looking for fun outdoor activities to put on your to do list this winter? How about embracing your inner kid and go for a sleigh ride? Sounds corny, huh? Not when you bring along some cute guys to ride down that hill with…

Winter is the season known for bringing family and friends together. Show your creative side and plan a winter themed get-together with your closest gal pals. Deck your halls with fun lights and vases filled with Christmas balls. Remember building those gingerbread houses when you were five? Start it up again! Even the oldest of your friends will not resist the array of gum drops and icing spread across your table.

Winter can be a total bummer for the female psyche, so take care of that body! Moisturizing is the key; this season brings along dry skin which can clog pores. Stock up on Jergens Ultra Healing Body Lotion and motorize those knees and elbows. For the face, try Olay Complete All Day Moisturizer, what’s more is it goes on smooth and smells pretty good too.

Don’t let those snow days go to waste either. Being stuck in the house can bring about cabin fever but this gives you the chance to experiment. Curious how you would look with an extreme smoky eye or firecracker red lips? Test it out! Spend some time at the mirror for a trial and error run, that way when go out on a hot date you will be all prepared to wow him with those beauty skills.

We all know how important it is to keep your body in shape; a nor’easter preventing you from going to the gym is no excuse to not get that heart rate going!  Check out the at-home exercise tips in your favorite magazine, Self and FITNESS have a ton. I hear Jillian Michaels makes a sick workout video, and from experience I highly recommend the Pussy Cat Dolls workout; you’ll learn sexy dance moves while burning calories.

Still bummed out about being snowed in? How about going through that insane closet of yours? Check out what pieces you already have and create new outfits for the upcoming week; pair things together you wouldn’t normally wear and look to sites like style.mtv.com and singer22.com for style inspiration (fun fact: check out the women’s fashion category on pinterest.com; here you’ll can find gorgeous style combos you would have never thought of!). This will allow you to utilize what you already have without dropping cash on your next shopping excursion.

Winter can be a downer, but you can change that! Keep yourself happy during these long months and find your own ways to give yourself that fresh, happy glow without the summer sun to help you out.

Kaitlin Provost graduated from SUNY Oswego, majoring in journalism with a learning agreement in photography. She grew up in five different towns all over the Northeast, eventually settling and graduating from high school in Hudson, Massachusetts. Kait now lives in the blustery town of Oswego, New York, where she can frequently be found running around like a madwoman, avoiding snow drifts taller than her head (which, incidentally, is not very tall). She has worked for her campus newspaper, The Oswegonian, as the Assistant News Editor, and is also the President of the Oswego chapter of Ed2010, a national organization which helps students break into the magazine industry. She hopes to one day work for National Geographic and travel the world.