This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oswego chapter.

Let’s be real, it’s so hard to save money, but I am here to tell you some tips and tricks on saving your money. One of the ways I have started to keep track of my spending is by writing down my purchases in my budget book. You could get a budget book from Amazon. When you receive money, always try to put at least ten percent in your savings because having money in the savings account is important. What if you need it for something important and you get laid off and do not have savings? You will be stuck.

• DO NOT BUY UNNECESSARY ITEMS IF YOU DO NOT NEED IT.
  • When you get paid or receive money, add about 20 percent of that to a savings account. You will thank me later.
  • Thrift shops; thrifting is so much fun, I’ve recently started, and there are so many affordable items.
  • If you get your nails done like me, try press-on to save money. I found some really cute ones on the TikTok Shop.
  • Shopping at Dollar Tree will save you money on the expensive prices of household items.
  • Building your credit will help you out in the long run. When building your credit, start with a secured credit card, and after about six months, make it an unsecured credit card to see how you do. Always pay your credit card bill on time and try to pay it back in full.
  • Using coupons or promo codes is always a plus. Memberships usually give you a decent percentage off your purchase, like Groupon or retail stores.
  • Always have a positive attitude and be confident. Confidence is beautiful.
  • Do your makeup or hair.
  • Do it yourself when it is convenient.

I hope my tips and tricks will help you all in your saving journey.

Just a girly who loves to read, write, and game.