Style > Beauty

How to Finesse Your Beauty Routine Without Any Effort

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oswego chapter.

Now, this isn’t going to be the regular tips and tricks kinda makeup article you’re expecting; this one goes out to my lazy girls. Also fair warning you may find my tips to be slightly gross or unhygienic but these are things I have done for at least a year now and it’s worked for me before.

How To Sleep In Makeup

Ladies this is CRUCIAL to the first step of becoming a lazy makeup queen! I’m sure most girls have been there, with reasons varying from exhaustion to sleeping over a guy’s place last minute. It happens to the best of us and I for one definitely do this when I’m not feeling the best mentally and would rather sleep in than do my detailed skincare routine.

That being said here’s how I sleep in my makeup and even wear it the next day. If you know you’re going to sleep in your makeup, take a makeup wipe and wipe off your face makeup, eyeshadow, eyeliner except for your eyebrows and mascara. From there it’ll at least have some possibility of preventing your skin from breaking out. Now, this is where it really counts; when you wake up in the morning apply your face makeup like usual but be careful when applying your eyeliner/eyeshadow again that you go around your leftover lashes. When you’ve stayed up late the night before doing homework sometimes you’re too tired to sit there and take the time to get your lashes and brows just right. That’s why in the morning you lightly go over your leftover mascara and brows again. Sometimes I actually like my redone brows and lashes better because now my lashes have a thicker coat and my brows look carved.

An alternative to sleeping in makeup is if you’re a big skincare girl like me and have a massively long grocery list of tasks to do every night to your face, just have another skincare routine. Okay, this might sound confusing but it’s having a routine that’s WAY quicker and less complicated that’s for those nights where you’re already breaking out and can’t take the gamble of making it worse. Personally, that’s when I would use a makeup wipe and a regular cleanser without my spin brush.    

Last Minute Hair Routine

There’s had to be a time where you woke up too late to shower so now your hair is suffering a greasy, flat mess. As awkward as it is I usually will rush to the bathroom to wash my hair in the sink. Bending and tilting your head into the sink to wash it may be weird especially depending on the height but it’s way easier to last-minute prioritize your hair than it is to shower.  Results may vary depending on hair type and if your neighbors are judgy in the case where they may walk into the bathroom and catch you in the act.

Specific Situations

These ones may be very specific but they are useful when you find yourself in these questionable situations. Let’s say you wake up late and now you can’t get ready at all; in those situations, I would throw my toothbrush and toothpaste in my bag with me. This is where you’ll have to have a keen eye to scope out the bathrooms that are usually in emptier parts of the buildings on campus because for this next part you’ll have to wash your teeth in the bathroom, if you’re like me and can’t handle bad breath. Another example would be if you accidentally forgot to put perfume on, so you’re walking to class and you’re missing that sweet smell you usually have on the daily. As common as it is, I would in that situation put on lotion and a flavored/scented chapstick. I know for me I have a pretty strong lotion and chapstick that people typically compliment me on, because of the fact that they can smell the products right when I open them, so they could somewhat replicate the smell of my favorite perfume for the day.

Ajsa Mehmedovic is a junior at SUNY Oswego studying psychology and public relations. Ajsa enjoys conveying meaningful messages online and believes that social media has the power to bring people together. She would like to meld her psychology background and her passion for public relations by offering her understanding of people in a way that will affect positive public change. Offline you can find her exploring new hiking trails and the wonders of the unplugged world.
Melissa Lee

Oswego '19

CC Melissa is a senior journalism major with a double minor in creative writing and political science at SUNY Oswego. She loves music, makeup, dogs, and napping. 95% of the time she can be found drinking way too much coffee or finding new music on Spotify.