How to Celebrate Halloween Without Drinking

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oswego chapter.

There are a lot of college freshmen who are excited to go to college mostly because now they’ll be able to party every weekend. But, there are others like me who are not too fond of the party scene. For the  college girls that don’t necessarily want to go out and drink this Halloween, here are a few alternative options to have a spooktacular night with your ghoulfriends.

1. Have a Halloween Movie Marathon

One of the best kind of nights in college are movie marathons with friends, especially watching holiday movies. Throwbacks like Hocus Pocus, Halloweentown, and Twitches are a light start to joke and laugh along with if you are not the biggest horror movie fan. If you are though, then movies like The Conjuring, the Saw franchise, and Friday the 13th series are great options.

2. Have a Spooky Game Night

Clue is the first game I think of when having a Halloween themed game night with friends. The murder mystery is definitely a top contender, along with Werewolf. The game consists of everyone attempting to guess who the werewolves of the group are, as they themselves are attempting to keep their character under wraps. Talk about sneaky.

3. Dress Up and Throw a Costume Party

Getting to dress up on Halloween was my favorite part as a child, and is still for many other young adults. The college budget, however, does not allow for extravagant costumes, so keep it simple with things you can find in your closet. Costume parties are always fun no matter what the age because you get to do something completely different than your normal day-to-day wardrobe. You could even have a contest to give out small prizes to the person with the best costume. The prizes could be school supplies because who doesn’t need more pens, or simply just small goodies and candies.

4. Get Your Friends Together and Have a Scavenger Hunt

Walk around campus, or even just your dorm hall, and try to search for certain Halloween goodies your friends hide. It can be a certain Halloween decoration , and to prove you found it, just send a picture to your friend group chat. A small group would most likely work best, so you don’t get in too much trouble for roaming around the halls after quiet hours.

5. Find Local Haunted Places

You can always find somewhere spooky close by, as the scares are never far. Look for places that are walking distance if you don’t have any mode of transportation. Walking around your college town or city looking for these places could also be a good way to explore your surroundings. Whether it’s a haunted house, a road, or even just a corn maze, it could easily be a boo-tastic time with your college buddies.

I'm known as kind of being a hippy who loves to meditate, do yoga, and listen to music. I'm always up for an adventure and am interested in living creatively, working for a bigger purpose, and continuing my adventures around the world!