This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oswego chapter.

It’s the beginning of a new year at college, and whether you’re a freshman or senior, you’re aware of the workload and study time necessary to pass courses. For some, studying and doing homework may entail noshing on chips, candy, or cookies and rinsing it down with coffee or Red Bull.

While these foods may give a jolt of energy, it may lead to a crash later on, not to mention repercussions on your waistline. Her Campus Oswego would like to introduce some healthier alternative snacks to have while studying that provide long-lasting energy and won’t lead to unwanted weight gain!

Chips are a common snack to have while hitting the books, but even though they’re tasty, they’re loaded with sodium that can result in bloating. Whereas a serving size may be a handful or two of chips, most people may consume an entire bag without even noticing!

If you’re craving a crunchy snack during study time, go for microwavable popcorn. It’s low-calorie, yet more filling than chips because it contains more fiber. Just avoid popcorn that is labelled with flavors like “homestyle” or “movie theater butter.” These not only have high amounts of sodium, but they may also include hydrogenated oils, a code name for trans fat. Instead, look for lighter versions of microwavable popcorn, like 100-calorie packs.

Cookies and candy may also be a common snack to have while studying or doing homework. Thanks to their high sugar content, they provide energy, though this energy is followed by a crash afterward. This sudden dip in energy may lead to seeking out more of the sugary foods, which leads to unwanted weight gain.

A healthier alternative to conquering a sweet tooth is
fresh fruit. Instead of candy, try frozen grapes or berries. Blend your favorite fruit with ice cubes and low-fat yogurt for a delicious, protein-packed smoothie that will hold you over during study time. Fruits and vegetables are also packed with filling fiber as well as essential vitamins and minerals that can keep you energized and focused. Pair one of these with a serving of protein, like low-fat yogurt, nut butter, or hummus to make an even more filling snack. Have a sliced apple or banana with a tablespoon of peanut butter, baby carrots and celery sticks with hummus, or yogurt topped with a handful of berries. The combination of protein and fiber will help keep blood sugar levels stable, meaning that they’ll provide longer-lasting energy compared to candy and cookies.

With these healthy alternatives, you’re guaranteed to stay full and focused when studying!

Kaitlin Provost graduated from SUNY Oswego, majoring in journalism with a learning agreement in photography. She grew up in five different towns all over the Northeast, eventually settling and graduating from high school in Hudson, Massachusetts. Kait now lives in the blustery town of Oswego, New York, where she can frequently be found running around like a madwoman, avoiding snow drifts taller than her head (which, incidentally, is not very tall). She has worked for her campus newspaper, The Oswegonian, as the Assistant News Editor, and is also the President of the Oswego chapter of Ed2010, a national organization which helps students break into the magazine industry. She hopes to one day work for National Geographic and travel the world.