This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oswego chapter.

Tess – Will Connolly “Freddie Won The Toss”

For about five years now, I have loved Will Connolly’s music. He has three albums out currently, with some other musical theatre credits to his name as well. My personal favorite of his works is his album “Freddie Won The Toss”. There are seven low-energy songs with some of the best bass I have ever heard. The very first song on the tracklist, Europe, is probably my favorite song in general. The lyrics to it helped me through a really rough time, and I ended up getting some of them—”I know it’s tough, but you’re up”—tattooed on my arm. This entire album is amazing for relaxing and taking time to breathe, even when everything seems a bit chaotic.

Erin – Gorillaz “Demon Days”

While this may be an older album, coming out in 2005, “Demon Days” is probably the best album they have. Even though recently they have been making music with artist such as the great Elton John, and Snoop Dog, it just doesn’t have the same energy as “Demon Days.” With songs like DARE, Feel Good Inc., and Dirty Harry, it just has this early 2000’s feel that just makes you get up in dance, and “feel good.” (Pun intended) Their newer songs are trying too hard to fit in this “newer” age of music while also trying to keep their 2000’s feel, and it just doesn’t work. I’m not saying that the Gorillaz should stop making music, but more saying that they should keep their style, especially when it worked, and not try too hard to “fit in.” They should just be themselves while also collaborating with Elton John!  

Shanae – Kanye West “The College Dropout”

Even though Kanye has been under a lot of criticism lately, his creativity is unmatched when it comes to making music. His first album, “The College Dropout” is what made me fall in love with his music and creative process. In this album, Kanye discusses leaving his traditional college lifestyle behind to devote himself to music. In his path to stardom, he recognizes the hardships of fame as he discusses tragedy in songs like “Through the Wire”, his attachment to consumerism in “All Falls Down”, a cry for help in “Jesus Walks”, and ultimately, wanting to escape from reality in “Spaceship”. My favorite track off this album is “Slow Jamz” which features Twista and Jamie Foxx, and pays homage to Luther Vandross’ cover of ‘A House is Not a Home’. As a result of its powerful lyrics and sampling, this album will always remain one of my favorites.

Kate – Harry Styles “Harry Styles”

Harry Styles gained so much popularity within the past two years with his hits like “Watermelon Sugar”, and” Adore You” off of his most recent album Fine Line. Though I absolutely love this album, his first album “Harry Styles” (AKA HS1),  will always hold a special place in my heart. I love how each song off the album has a different style (pun not intended) and a different story behind each one. Fine Line, on the other hand, feels more like a story and all the songs connect to each other. Songs off of HS1 like “Two Ghosts”, and “Ever Since New York” have more solemn back stories, losing loved ones, and growing apart from people. “Kiwi” on the other hand is just a feel good rock and roll song and I just can’t help myself from singing and dancing to it every single time it comes on. My favorite song off of HS1 has to be “Sweet Creature”, a song about a person who just makes Harry feel like he is home. Harry throughout the album refers to this person/persons as home rather than saying their name, and this person grounds him and comforts him when he needs it the most. It’s such a sweet feel good song that never fails to make me smile. Though both of his albums make my top played albums every year, Harry’s debut album will always be number one. 

Jaylea – SZA “Ctrl”

During my first semester at SUNY Oswego, I listened to “Ctrl” and it honestly became one of my favorite albums because of how relatable the lyrics are. The album has a variety of songs that touch on the topics of self-love, loving others, heartbreak, and growing up. There are upbeat songs and sad songs that I play at any moment now that I know all of the lyrics and meanings. “Drew Barrymore” and “Normal Girl” are my top two songs that I love to sing because they help me express some of the things that I feel as I am growing up and learning who I am. SZA is also gorgeous and continuously puts out great music, so you may hear her songs trending on popular platforms like TikTok and Instagram

Carolyn – Arctic Monkeys “AM”

The Arctic Monkeys are an English rock band who became immensely popular in the United States during 2013 when their album ‘AM’ released. I discovered the band on tumblr, constantly seeing photos from their performances, and hearing sound bites of various covers on my feed. I decided to give their new record a listen and instantly fell in love with hits on the album including ‘R U Mine’ and ‘Do I Wanna Know’. Many songs on “AM” have a distant and alternative sound that reminds me of eras like the 60’s and 70’s. Over the years I’ve listened to this album countless times and continue to find joy and appreciation for these songs. My favorite song on the album changes continually , but as of right now it is ‘Snap Out Of. The album never fails to put me in a good and relaxed mood as it reminds me of good times with good people.