This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oswego chapter.

Tess

I think one of my favorite things to do during this time of year is going to haunted houses with my friends. For at least six years now, I’ve gone to haunted houses as a way to celebrate my birthday, and I plan to keep that up this year as well. Something about being scared in a fun way is just really exciting and it never gets old to me! It’s also a really good excuse to get hot cocoa and bundle up in warm clothes, since it gets pretty cold at night :)

April White

My absolute favorite activity to do during the fall season is to watch Halloween movies and/or scary movies! Lighting a candle, cuddling up in blankets and relaxing (or not so much relaxing to the horror ones) is one of the best feelings I can think of! My second favorite thing to do would probably be carving pumpkins! I love picking out a silly face and taking the time to see it come to life. Especially when you get to enjoy a handful of tasty roasted pumpkin seeds at the end!

Alexandria

My favorite thing to do during the fall is watch as the trees turn from green to a mixture of yellow, orange, and red. For years when I was younger I would go on a hike to see all the fall foliage, since at the end of the hike you could see a huge part of Schoharie Valley. I also love to sit outside on my deck and read a good book, curled up in a blanket to stay warm. It’s so nice to sit outside and read without getting super hot, and I have a perfect view of the forest from my deck. 

Donae

My favorite things to do during this season is watch halloween movies and go to the pumpkin patches. Since I was a child, my grandmother would always take my siblings and I to the pumpkin patch where we’ll get on the hayrides and go through haunted houses. It’s always fun to go and that could be with friends, family, or a significant other. I also thoroughly enjoy halloween kid movies like Halloweentown and Hocus Pocus. Disney channel would do a halloween marathon playing some of the movies and specials for their shows, which I loved to watch as a kid. Now that I’m older, I basically create my own marathon by planning out what shows and movies I want to watch.

Bailey

One of my favorite things to do in the fall is bundle up and have a bonfire! Even though it gets cold at night, it’s still possible to enjoy being outside if you’re dressed warm and have something warm to sip on. I also enjoy the fall foliage and really want to make it to the Adirondacks soon to see the foliage there. Another thing I like to do is spend time with friends and family watching football games outside and in-person or on TV!

Ava

One of my favorite aspects about fall is all of the fun scents related to it. Whether it’s pumpkin, cinnamon, or nature-based scents, I love them all! I personally find these scents very comforting and they allow me to ease into the season. Another thing I love to do is go on walks and see the changing nature around me; trees shed their leaves and squirrels are abundant hiding their acorns for the winter. Going outside greatly improves my overall mental health and wellbeing, as I find it very relaxing to know that while things may change around me and cause me stress, I can always turn to nature for peace of mind. 

Fira 

Even though fall is not a really warm season and especially in Oswego. I love to go for a walk as many times as I can with my schedule. Because colors become crazy and wild, it is amazing. But besides that the best part of fall is apples. That’s the time when baking and eating literally anything with apples gets much better. The best fall evening is an apple pie with a cup of coffee, a spooky movie with friends and rain outside the windows. But definitely if I don’t feel like socialization the preferest thing is reading a book with chai.   

Ellen 

One of my favorite things to do during fall is go apple picking because afterwards we can make apple cider with all the apples we’ve collected! I made cider with my friends and it was such a great bonding experience plus the cider tasted delicious. I also love to bundle up in a blanket and have a movie marathon, especially Halloween movies! Lastly, with all the beautiful changes in the leaves, I enjoy going on a nice walk and journaling by the lake. 

Fay

I love taking late night walks in autumn. The leaves are scattered on the ground, the grass is still fresh and not covered by snow, and the air is crisp. All of this makes for a perfect late night stroll around campus. I can listen to music, talk on the phone, or just think, all while taking a break from my schoolwork and getting in a few steps. I also enjoy sitting by Lake Ontario and watching the waves crash against the rocks. It is such a peaceful activity that I can only experience during fall in Oswego, before the snowfall of winter. 

Shanae

My favorite fall activity is watching Halloween movies. Since Halloween is in the fall, it’s the perfect time to watch both new and old horror movies. Even though I prefer watching movies in the theater, it’s also great to heat up some popcorn, get lots of candy, and watch movies with your friends and family in the comfort of your own home. Some movies that I’m looking forward to watching this fall are Pearl, Barbarian, and Smile. Some classics that I look forward to rewatching are The Conjuring series as well as the Nightmare on Elm Street series. 

Katy

I absolutely love everything about Fall. I love carving pumpkins and going apple picking. I always make caramel apples after apple picking. I also always enjoy watching Fall and Halloween movies like Halloweentown! Once it gets closer to Halloween though, me and my friends always enjoy going to haunted houses as well as haunted corn mazes and hayrides. 

Riley Eipp

I would say that my favorite fall activities include anything outdoors as long as it’s not too cold! I really enjoy apple picking, hiking, carving pumpkins, and decorating for the fall season. I definitely appreciate some indoor fall activities too though. I am a big fan of drinking some cider or hot chai tea and watching some classic fall movies and shows! I’ve been re-watching Gilmore Girls recently and it’s really putting me in the fall spirit.

Mia

When coming into a season or a Holiday, my strongest nostalgia comes from taste or smell. So naturally, I love going apple picking and drinking warm cider. I also love a good pumpkin coffee. I like to cuddle up in blankets with my friends to watch Halloween movies, especially anything by Tim Burton. My favorite fall activity overall though is putting up decorations in my room for Halloween.

Tess (they / them) is a senior theater and creative writing double major at SUNY Oswego. They love reading, hanging out with friends, and writing in their free time.
April White

Oswego '23

April White is currently a senior at SUNY Oswego. She is a Broadcasting major with a minor in Creative Writing. More often than not you can find her either reading or tucked away in bed watching Netflix. She loves animals, iced coffee and the colors green and purple.
Alexandria is currently a senior at SUNY Oswego, majoring in Creative Writing with minors in English and History. She has been published in four different literary journals: The Great Lake Review, Gandy Dancer, Zenith Literary Magazine and Planisphere Q. When not writing she loves listening to music, or reading a book on a rainy day.
Hi, I'm Bailey and I'm a junior at SUNY Oswego from Rochester, NY! I have passions for writing and storytelling, as well as health and wellness. I also love music, sports, being in nature, and spending time with family and friends.
Ellen Argueta is an 20 year old Adolescence Education major with a concentration in Social Studies and a minor in History currently attending SUNY Oswego. She hopes to eventually teach world history to students in middle school or high school! Some of her hobbies include painting, reading, and watching marvel movies!
Hey, I'm Fei Khutoretsky! (they/them) I'm currently pursuing a Bachelor's degree in Broadcasting and Communications at SUNY Oswego. I hail from Brooklyn, NYC. I love writing, especially slam poetry, and you can most likely find me curled up somewhere with a cup of hot chocolate and a book.
Riley Eipp

Oswego '25

I am a double major at SUNY Oswego, majoring in Human Development and Communications. I absolutely love writing, reading, traveling, and trying new things! I'm hoping to one day get a job in marketing, journalism, or copy editing.