This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oswego chapter.

One of the holidays that I cherish the most is International Women’s Day. This is an annual holiday that is always celebrated on March 8th. Its main focus is to celebrate the movement for women’s rights as well as how a woman’s way of living dramatically progressed throughout the years. In the past, women played the roles of cooking, cleaning, and doing chores for the family, while the man went out and worked for the majority of the day. Luckily, times have changed and women are no longer dependent on men in order to make a living.

I consider myself to be a feminist. A feminist is someone who sees equality between genders. Why should women only make 70 cents to the man’s dollar? Women produce the same amount of work as men, if not better. It is just wrong on so many levels. Women have suffered in so many horrific ways and it is only right to treat women with the utmost respect.

In modern times, women have stable jobs, take care of the kids, cook, clean, and so much more. We are held to so many different responsibilities which make us outstanding.

There are some stereotypes about women that make society very divided. For example, when you think of a firefighter or a policeman, you automatically picture a man working these specific jobs because they are “dangerous” and women are “too weak” to handle this type of work. Women-dominated jobs include nurses, teachers, social workers, etc. This is because women are portrayed to be the caretakers and emotional figures.

Another stereotype of women is that females are only beautiful with a certain body type: slim/curvy. Women come in all different shapes and sizes and every single one of them is gorgeous. Many women complain that they are either too skinny or too fat. Accepting your body is a huge confidence booster which spreads positive energy within society.  

All women are beautiful and it’s very important to embrace your beauty. If you don’t, nobody else will!

Who run the world? GIRLS.

My name is Melissa Wadler and I am currently a sophomore at Suny Oswego. I am a Wellness Management major with a minor in Business Administration. I hope to pursue a career within the health field, preferably managing a health facility. My interests/ hobbies are free writing, spending quality time with my friends, and anything involving art ! :)
Melissa Lee

Oswego '19

CC Melissa is a senior journalism major with a double minor in creative writing and political science at SUNY Oswego. She loves music, makeup, dogs, and napping. 95% of the time she can be found drinking way too much coffee or finding new music on Spotify.