This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oswego chapter.

I’ve invested a ridiculous amount of money over the years trying to figure out the perfect skin care routine and while I’m certainly no expect on the subject, I’ve definitely learned a thing or two. I’ve been battling the ‘war on acne’ since my preteen years and have literally tried everything and anything to cure it. But let’s be real, anyone who has has suffered a similar fate knows acne is incredibly stubborn and does not go away so easily.

I’e gone to see dermatologists but their prescriptions and advice always only seemed to help over the short term. It felt like as soon as my skin cleared up, pesky pimples were finding their way back onto my skin.

I haven’t completely won the battle yet, but I have discovered some tricks and products I believe to be quite effective, and I swear by them 100 percent.

1. Toner

Up until about a year and a half ago, I had no idea that toner was even a thing. In my hunt to find the perfect skincare routine, I decided to give it a try. Toner is meant to be applied to your face after washing it and before applying moisturizer. It helps keep skin extra clean and is great for dealing with any excess oil.

The thing about toner is that there are a lot of different brands and types to try. I personally really love Dickinson’s Enhanced Witch Hazel Toner because you can feel it cleansing your skin and they have a wide variety of options for different skin types and needs.  

2. Facial Moisturizer

This one might seem obvious, but to be honest, I didn’t use moisturizer for years. I have naturally oily skin, so I never thought I needed it. Has your skin ever felt tight after cleaning it? Well, that’s the first major sign that your face is screaming for some moisture. On top of tightness and often overall dryness, not moisturizing can lead to your skin producing more oil than usual, which is definitely not something you want to happen. This is why even those of us with oily skin need to be using moisturizer.

So far, my favorite moisturizer I’ve used is the Pink Grapefruit, Oil-Free Acne Moisturizer by Neutrogena. It’s lightweight, has a pleasant smell, and contains salicylic acid, which helps kill acne-causing bacteria to prevent breakouts.

3. Tea-Tree Oil

Tea-tree oil was something I had read about and decided to try on a whim. I was very pleasantly surprised at how well this product actually worked! It’s considered to be a natural and less harsh alternative to benzoyl peroxide, which is an acne treatment that a lot of dermatologists recommend.

I use tea-tree oil when I start to get bad breakouts and apply it with a cotton ball at night before I go to bed. It has a really strong smell that takes a while to get used to, but when you do it’s actually rather soothing.

Not only does tea-tree oil help fight acne, but its really good at preventing ingrown hairs and razor burn, especially in the bikini area! I apply it to my skin after showering and shaving and it’s seriously helped!

4. Charcoal

I absolutely adore charcoal face products. They are incredibly good for oily skin and are really good at giving skin a nice deep clean overall. I have used various brands of charcoal face washes in the past and loved them all, but my all time favorite is the Freeman Feeling Beautiful Polishing Charcoal Gel Mask. It has dual usage as a facial mask and a scrub. I try and use it at least once a week and my skin always feels so smooth afterwards.

If you’re struggling to find new ways to fight ‘the war on acne’ or just want to change up your skin care routine, these four products are hands down some of the best and most essential products to have! They also leave you feeling so fresh and clean, and, like, who wouldn’t want that?

I am a double major in Bussiness Administration and Creative Writing, with a minor in Economics. As well as being a writer/editor for Her Campus, I am the President of Oswego's Women in Business club. I love superheroes, sunsets, flannels, and a good cup of tea. 
Katie Short

Oswego '18

Katie is a recent graduate of SUNY Oswego, where she double-majored in Creative Writing and Political Science and a minor in Journalism. She was the Co-Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Oswego as well as a Chapter Advisor. Katie hopes to get a job in writing, editing or social media.