This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oswego chapter.

As we’re wrapping up our last week of classes here at SUNY Oswego, finals week is looming closer and closer. Most of us are already feeling the stress of finals week, from take-home finals, to final papers, and even final projects and group work. These assignments can start to pile up quickly, with stress right along with them. During these last few days, it becomes increasingly important to prioritize self-care and your mental health. While many of us are likely dedicating most of our time to studying, it’s just as valuable to dedicate some time to a break from school work. By allowing ourselves time to relax in between studying, we can tackle those assignments with a clearer head and complete better work as a result. 

One of my favorite ways to do this is by watching anime. Most anime episodes are only around 20 minutes long, so watching one episode is a great way to take a break between study sessions. It can also serve as motivation to get my assignments done, that way I can watch an episode or two once I finish. However, I tend to lean towards action-packed anime, such as Attack on Titan or Jujutsu Kaisen, which make it difficult to go back to doing school work. I’ve found that light-hearted, funny, and less action-centered anime work the best for me to have an opportunity to take a break without completely losing my focus on the course material. Whether you’re looking for a way to relax between taking finals, or you just need some new anime recommendations, here are my top picks for feel-good anime to watch during finals season!

Spy x Family

With only a few episodes out right now, Spy x Family is the newest anime on this list. I’ve enjoyed all four of the episodes that have been released so far! The story follows a spy who needs to create a fake family in order to complete a mission. But the family he creates ends up being an undercover assassin as his wife and a telepath as his daughter. What ensues is a great blend of humorous, heartwarming, and dramatic moments. The daughter, Anya, is absolutely adorable, and I quickly became invested in the story. With such a great balance of humor, sweetness, and action, it makes for the perfect anime to watch for a break from finals. It’s also helpful that there are only a few episodes out right now, so if you’re someone who easily falls into the trap of binge-watching, Spy x Family is a great option for you!

Blue Period

While Spy x Family has gained a lot of attention lately as it’s been released weekly, Blue Period was an anime that flew by under the radar. Released late last year, it’s a great short anime with only 12 episodes, so it’s easy to get into the story quickly without having to understand a ton of backstory or world-building. The main character is a high schooler who feels empty, with no discernible purpose. All he does is study often, get good grades, and hang out with his friends; that is, until he finds himself thrust into the world of art. Suddenly he sees the world completely differently, finding new passion, purpose, and motivation, and decides he wants to go to art school after graduation. Watching Blue Period feels like witnessing this beautiful change in his life, and seeing his journey over the course of the 12 episodes is not only relaxing, but truly inspiring. I had not done much art since high school, but finishing this anime made me want to pick up a paintbrush again. If you’re feeling stuck in your life, worried about graduating, or like you haven’t found your purpose yet, Blue Period is a must watch! 

Great Pretender

Sometimes when you take a break from studying, you may not want something relaxing, but are feeling more like being entertained. Great Pretender is the perfect solution! It has great colors in its animation, plenty of funny moments, gorgeous settings, and its characters immediately draw in your interest. But don’t be fooled; this anime is anything but boring. The story follows a group of con artists in a series of heists, each more elaborate than the last, and broken into a few episodes per heist. It clocks in at around 23 episodes, divided between two seasons, but with them organized by heist, it’s a great option for extended breaks at the end of long work-filled days. Great Pretender is full of twists and turns, always keeping you guessing and engaged, and believe me when I tell you, there are some cons that will fool even you! 

Tanaka-kun is Always Listless

On the flip side, if you need an anime you don’t have to pay very much attention to and that doesn’t take much brain power to watch, Tanaka-kun is Always Listless is perfect. A short, 12 episode slice of life anime, it follows the high schooler Tanaka who aspires to be as listless as possible in life. It has a soft aesthetic with great supporting characters, and by the end of it you may find yourself growing invested in them. We all need a best friend like Ohta supporting and looking out for us. It’s a great slice of life anime because there’s a good balance of some funny moments, some heartwarming ones, but above all, plenty of relatable scenes where something prevents Tanaka from being able to relax (@ those last-minute assignments professors throw our way). I definitely end up feeling like Tanaka by the end of finals week, so it’s a relatable but charming anime that serves as a nice relaxing break from studying! 

Haikyuu!!

This list would not be complete without one of my comfort anime, Haikyuu!!. It’s one of those anime you can rewatch again and again, making it perfect for me to watch between finals since I don’t have to pay too much attention to it. When I first watched it, I loved the character development and how it incorporated action. Haikyuu!! follows the high school volleyball team Karasuno as they try to make their way up to Nationals. While it centers on two players in particular, Hinata and Kageyama, it does a great job of giving the other teammates ample screen time as well, including players on other teams! There is development of almost all of the characters in some capacity, and the matches aren’t boring in the slightest. As someone who never played volleyball in high school, I was surprised by how invested I got in the matches! You’ll be on the edge of your seat at some moments, laughing at others, and you might even find yourself crying at times. Watching their journey through the ranks of Japan is entertaining, captivating, and inspiring. And with four seasons, there’s plenty of episodes to keep you motivated to get your assignments done so you can watch just one more episode!

Allyson is currently pursuing a Bachelor's degree at SUNY Oswego, and is a double major in English and Broadcasting with a minor in Spanish. She is the CC of her college's chapter of Her Campus, as well as the Secretary of the Women's Club Ice Hockey team. She hopes to one day become an author of fiction novels and collections of poetry. When she is not writing or on the ice she enjoys spending her time reading, hiking, and watching anime.