Fathama Ahmed: The Adventurous Type

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oswego chapter.

Fathama Ahmed is a junior wellness management major with a minor in athletic coaching.

In the beginning of her spring sophomore year semester, Ahmed started Oswego’s running club. Ahmed went straight to The Point to discuss a possible running club at Oswego.

“I wanted to start a non-competitive running team. I knew a lot of people who wanted to run so we formed a chill group of people to meet up and run,” says Ahmed.

Ahmed started off with just a few members who actually made the commitment to daily runs on and off campus. With the start of Ahmed’s junior semester the club had 25 committed members. Runs go from 3-5 miles and to cycling classes at the gyms around campus. Ahmed enjoys runs on her own, to as far as the local Wal-Mart and Rice Creek Field.

Starting up your own club on campus can be difficult. Ahmed jumped right into filling out various amounts of paper work to get a running club up and started.

“Students who are involved with the club feel great after runs. I personally feel students are more likely to be more productive with their schoolwork and time,” says Ahmed.

Ahmed feels the club not only benefits students academically but socially, too.

“Kids are less likely to become involved with drugs and alcohol when they are involved with more activities on campus,” says Ahmed.

Ahmed plans on studying abroad next semester in England. Ahmed will be taking classes at The University of Chester.

Along with planning to study abroad, Ahmed is pursuing the same job she had this past summer as a peer leader. She was a mentor to freshman students and enjoyed planning fun events for them.  Becoming involved on campus and networking is crucial to this Oswego student.

For now, she is busy promoting, fundraising and gaining new members for her club as president.

“I plan on starting my own running club over in England!” says Ahmed.

EDUCATIONBachelors of Arts in Journalism                                                                              Expected: May 2014State University of New York (SUNY) College at OswegoMajor: JournalismMinor: Creative Writing RELATED EXPERIENCE   Whiteraverrafting.com-Contributing Writer                                                       March 2013-PresentReviews on shows/festivals/tracks/albums in individual postsFeature posts about the world of electronic musicAssist in ideas on how to deliver more content and receive higher website viewsDevelop questions and strategies for unique and influential interviews with various artists HerCampus/Oswego.com: Editor of the Oswego Branch                                     January 2011 –Present    Editing- AP styleMaintain positions throughout involvement with Her Campus as: Social media representative, editor, and finally one of the head editors of the branchMaintain various article sections of the magazine websiteWrite articles related to news, student profiles, and various other articles like blogs which relate to campus lifeSocial media balancing skillsPeer Leader for the Educational Opportunity Program, Oswego NY                August, Summer 2012Mentor for freshmanTutor writing classesEdit essays, and short stories for studentsIntroduce and involve students in clubs on campusInitiate team work with planned events and assignments for students Copy Writing Internship: I Heart Oswego                                                                        January 2013-Presenthttp://iheartoswego.com/Edit 3-4 stories daily, using AP styleReport and interview subjects for storiesUpdate Facebook/Twitter for I Heart OswegoCome up with feature stories TVF-Business Development Member                                                                                 January 2013                                                                        Promote products at the Consumer Electronic Show (CES 2013)Discuss business strategies and team workDevelop press releases  WORK EXPERIENCECustomer Service, Wegman’s Food Markets, Binghamton, NY                                        August 2009-PresentInitiate customer service at cashier positionAdapt to changing situations at the storeImprove teamwork experience with working for outside services COMMUNITY INVOLVMENTCheerleading Club, SUNY Oswego                                                                                   September 2010-PresentSocial chair position: Come up with team bonding activities throughout the year and maintain team’s image                           
Kaitlin Provost graduated from SUNY Oswego, majoring in journalism with a learning agreement in photography. She grew up in five different towns all over the Northeast, eventually settling and graduating from high school in Hudson, Massachusetts. Kait now lives in the blustery town of Oswego, New York, where she can frequently be found running around like a madwoman, avoiding snow drifts taller than her head (which, incidentally, is not very tall). She has worked for her campus newspaper, The Oswegonian, as the Assistant News Editor, and is also the President of the Oswego chapter of Ed2010, a national organization which helps students break into the magazine industry. She hopes to one day work for National Geographic and travel the world.