Fall Nail Trends

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oswego chapter.

It may be the season of long sleeves, new jeans, and warm boots, but any collegiette™ knows that fall is the time to break out all of your new, bold, and daring nail polish colors that have gone unworn all summer long. Popular fashion magazines like Harper’s Bazaar, Glamour and Vogue have ripped the most fabulous fall nail trends off of this year’s hottest runways, inspiring all collegiettes™ to collect their own chic polish colors to rock this fall season. Here are some of the popular fail nail trends, influenced by the runways and red carpets, which are sure to add a splash of rich color and attitude to any outfit.

Dark and Stormy: Perhaps ‘attitude’ is the keyword for this group of increasingly popular nail trends this season. With a short, round-cornered nail, adding a splash of a deep burgundy or midnight blue is just what a collegiette™ needs to kick up her outfit a notch. These colors, seen on the runways of Naeem Khan and Catherine Malandrino, look smashing with a drop of a glossy top coat that adds just the right amount of spunk to whichever dark color you choose. Although these colors are intimidating to some, never fear a deep color. These deeper shades add a feminine attitude that every girl needs to spice up her look, even in a subtle way, without compromising her confidence. But if the burgundy and dark purples are too much ‘tude for you, go with a warm red instead.

Pales: Some collegiettes™ might be thinking, ‘Wait? Aren’t pales for summer?’ Sure, pale colors are typically associated with a much warmer climate than the fall season presents, but pale colors like whites, creams and soft golds are often a bit of fresh air mid-fall, according to harpersbazaar.com.  A nude tone, albeit simple, is often just as eye-catching as the bold colors aforementioned. Another advantage of rocking pale nails is that your nails are guaranteed to match any of your fun fall fashions.

French Manicures … with a twist: The first thing that may come to mind when thinking of a French Manicure is the typical, rounded nail with a white strip of nail polish at the top of a light pink painted nail. But this fall, the French Manicure gets a makeover. Instead of sticking to the traditional French, add a bit of your own personality and favorite colors to this look by mixing and matching whichever colors tickle your fancy to create your personalized French look. But some collegiettes™ may appreciate the muted, paler base color, like creams and nudes and light pinks. For those who do, spice up this look with a dark red tip that grabs the attention of any envious nail polish lovers. Modeled on the runways of Donna Karan, this look remains refined and sophisticated, while still maintaining a bit of feminine attitude. Another French option requires a metallic palette. Adding chromatic silver to the tip of an off-white nail will add a dramatic futuristic look to your nails.

Bold Nail Art: Nail fashion allows any wearer of nail polish to be outgoing and edgy while expressing their own vivid personality. The key here is to just be fearless. Do not be afraid to add texture, add any kooky designs that may shock and awe others. Wearing nail polish is all about being bold and making a fashion statement, like the models for designers like Jeremy Scott demonstrated with their funky nails that feature texturized elements and patterns. Whether your style is sophisticated, retro, hippy-chic or biker glam, adding bold nail art to any base color shows off your unique personality in a fun and attention-grabbing ways.

Matte Nails: Most collegiettes™ are probably used to the traditional glossy, high shine look to finish off any manicure, but this season (as it has been a growing trend over the past year) the matte look is the popular finish to any color. Although it may take some getting used to, as the look is much different from the bright top coat, but it adds an edgy, tough chick look to any ensemble. The matte look may not be for every girl, but the effect such a simple step has on a nail look is indefinitely eye-catching. This style can be worn with any color and any design, but to really rock this look and knock it out of the park, try topping your base coat with the matte finish, before adding a darker shade of the same color to the tip and letting it dry with a glossy finish, creating a dynamic and fun look.

Remember, collegiettes™, to be fearless this fall with the hottest nail trends of the season. Step outside of your comfort zone and try on a new finish or a new group of colors that you have otherwise left out of your nail polish collection before. Spice up your fall look with these stunning and simply executed looks, and you’ll be sure to make a fashion statement this season.

Hi, I'm Victoria Tomaselli, a senior English and Journalism double major at SUNY Oswego!