Life > Experiences

Embracing Oswego: A Journey of Growth and Gratitude

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oswego chapter.

(Written in third person)

Once, there was a girl named Jay who loathed her school. Every day, she was haunted by the feeling of not belonging and dreamed of transferring. She was determined to escape the unwelcoming environment that stifled her potential. With a heavy heart, she cut ties with the people who held her back, stepping into the unknown.

Jay was always involved in various activities, from joining a dance team to modeling for multiple organizations. Despite her initial struggles, she continued to explore new opportunities to grow. One day, she took a risk and enrolled in a play therapy class as an extracurricular. To her delight, she discovered her passion in this unexpected place.

As Jay navigated her new reality, she stumbled upon the Women’s Center on campus. She joined the committee, eager to make a difference, and her dedication quickly paid off. Before long, she became the Vice President, leading initiatives and serving as an inspiration to others.

Throughout her time at Oswego, Jay received numerous accolades, including the Latina of the Year Award. She was recognized as a student leader for her dedication and tireless efforts to ensure that others did not feel the same way she once had about the school.

In the midst of her journey, Jay also met a four-year-old named Jackson, who became her best friend. Their unique bond transcended age, and they learned invaluable lessons from each other. This friendship, along with her newfound purpose, truly marked Jay’s heart forever.

But it wasn’t all smooth sailing. Jay faced trials and tribulations that tested her resilience. She joined a sorority as a solo member reactivating the chapter, which only fueled her determination to succeed. Through these challenges, Jay grew stronger, wiser, and more confident.

As her days at Oswego approached an end, Jay felt a bittersweet mix of emotions. She was the first grandchild to graduate with honors, leaving a lasting mark on the school that had once been the source of her discontent. As she prepared to leave the place she now considered home, Jay realized that she would forever cherish the memories and experiences that had helped her grow.

With a heart full of gratitude, I embarked on the next chapter of my life. I knew that the journey of self-discovery I had undergone at Oswego had prepared me for anything the world had to offer. In summary, sometimes perseverance and exploring various options can lead to invaluable self-discovery and growth, which is crucial for building resilience and adaptability in an ever-changing world, ultimately empowering us to face life’s challenges with confidence.

The undergrad, known as Jay, is a theatre major at SUNY Oswego, where she is now enrolled. Cooking, dancing, writing poetry, traveling, and shooting photographs are just a few of her favorite pastimes. Her career aspiration is to work as a play therapist, but she also wants to be an advocate for the development of emotional intelligence in children.