Life > Experiences

“Don’t let fear stop you, take risks”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oswego chapter.

A few days ago I found myself reflecting on what I thought embarking on a voyage would do for me and my perspective. As I discussed this topic with my peers, a recurring question that would be asked was “SEA?! Are you crazy?! You don’t think you would get sea sick or something?!” Of course these are things that have crossed my mind, but let’s think about how small sea sickness is compared to how big seeing the world through a different lens can really be. This was a thought that sent me into a trance, wondering. What stops people from wanting to see what’s out there? 

Then it hit me, in the generation I’ve grown up in, we’ve had access to the internet for the majority of our lives and it seemed as though the world is at our fingertips through these little tiny devices in our hand, but in reality we have not seen a small percentage of what’s really out there waiting for us. I myself have even been a victim to this mindset, living through others because seeing the world yourself can seem scary. It’s a lot more common than you think to have those instances where you would like to achieve something that you feel will bring you purpose, but you have this little voice in your head whispering to you “you’re dreaming too big”, “what are the chances of that really happening?” We tend to find comfort in the idea that it’s too challenging so we fail to take those risks. That’s the number one way to sell yourself short and miss out on opportunities of living. Experiencing is a crucial part of life, it allows us to grow and evolve into the person we are intended to be. Experience the good, the bad, and the ugly because this will help you find a greater version of you. Of course, you will be met with challenges along the way, but those challenges are what makes the experience so worthwhile, being adaptable to prevail against all adversities will show you more about yourself than you can imagine. 

Don’t let fear stop you, take risks, and whatever you feel is for you; go after it and overcome any challenges that may come your way. We’re only given this opportunity once so make it meaningful to you.

Hi everyone! I'm Kiara Montero, a second semester junior, double majoring in Broadcasting and Mass Communication and Human Development with a minor in Sports Studies. I'm hoping to excel in my writing while also making connections with those in my campus community.