This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oswego chapter.

Caitlyn Bailey, a junior at SUNY Oswego, is involved all across campus, both in the dorms or in the classrooms. She actively redefines the word “celebrity” to mean a person who wishes to see others grow and develop into the people that they wish to be.

Hailing from a small town called Rushville near the Finger Lakes, Caitlyn describes herself as “open-minded” and “very energetic.” Her passion for meeting new and different people, coupled with her ability to build and strengthen relationships with those around her allows her to reach out and connect to people of all kinds. It comes as no surprise, then, that Caitlyn is currently president of Vocal Effect, a Residence Assistant in Oneida Hall, a teacher’s assistant in a General Studies class, and a peer advisor for students with undeclared majors.

As if this weren’t enough, Caitlyn was also a Laker Leader captain this past summer for incoming students. “Laker leading,” she claimed, was her most fulfilling activity. To her, the joy of strengthening relationships and building a solid team was wonderful. According to Caitlyn, she loves to meet the incoming freshmen and their families, watching as they develop and change throughout the school year.

With her involvement in so many activities, it was surprising when Caitlyn revealed that her biggest source of stress was test-taking. Caitlyn stated that she “can talk and discuss topics with professors, but when it comes to sitting down and facing question after question her mind goes a little blank.”

“When it comes to test time, it’s like what?” she said, laughing.

So what does this busy woman do to relax?

“Definitely singing,” she said. “Whether it’s in the shower, with friends, or with Vocal Effect.”

One of her favorite activities on campus is the in-hall residency programs and events. When asked if she had a least favorite activity, she said no, but expressed her wishes that the college would do more during the winter months.

Caitlyn attributes her inspiration to her mother, a “celebrity” in her own life.

“She is a teacher, a coach, and a mom,” she said, smiling.

Over the years growing up, Caitlyn watched as her mother did what she herself is doing now on campus; her mother was actively involved in many different programs around their hometown and built them all up to something greater.

She smiled as she spoke.

“I could go on and on … whether she knows it or not,” Caitlyn said.

Following in her mother’s footsteps, Caitlyn hopes to go into student affairs with her major, communication and social interaction.

“[My mom] gives 110 percent and that’s really inspiring to me.”

Looking around her room, the walls covered in pictures of friends, family, and co-workers, it was easy to see that someday people will find Caitlyn inspiring, too.

I am currently I senior here at our fair SUNY Oswego! While I enjoy writing for Her Campus, I also participate as the managerial editor for the Great Lake Review, as a student manager(called a group leader) at the Mackin Dining Complex, and as a community service member for the Women's Honor Society, VEGA. My future is a bit of a mystery even to me, but I believe that I'll either pursue the life of a librarian or the life of a baker!