This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oswego chapter.

“Say it loud, I’m Black and I’m proud” Weekly programs on Wednesdays at 7 p.m., SUNY Oswego’s Black Student Union was founded in 1968 aiming to provide a safe space for all Black students, faculty, and staff members on campus. No matter race or nationality, BSU extends an invitation to everyone who belongs to the Oswego community as they continue to promote cohesion, pride, and leadership on campus. This Friday, they will be hosting their annual Variety show following their 55th annual dinner “Black Gala Dinner”. Tickets will be sold through SUNY Oswego’s box office. 

With 5 different show scenes highlighting different aspects of Black excellence, their scenes include: Family Affair, Welcome to the clubhouse, Gentleman’s club, Ghetto Fab, and lastly their infamous annual Playboy Mansion scene (The lingerie scene). BSUs vision for each scene will showcase the perfection of student talent with runway walks, dance moves, highlighting student outfits, and more. This will be my first-ever variety show appearance. I have been anticipating this event since fall 2022. However, usually, the one to be in each scene, I’ll be sitting in the audience for this one. Showing my love and appreciation to my peers in the crowd. Former president Ziyah Myers says “it’s another year post covid so she’s excited to see new things coming from this”. With all the hype and teasers I’m excited to see what this show has entailed. 

On Saturday, February 25th, the annual dinner will be taking place in Sheldon Ballroom. Gold and black attire as their theme preference, with student performances and keynotes from the executive board. I’m excited to see Spice, Tempo and the IMAGE step team perform. I recently just joined the IMAGE family this semester, so I’ll proudly be performing for this year’s dinner. Be sure to stay connected and come to BSUs weekly program at 7 p.m. on Wednesday in MCC 231. Follow their Instagram @oswegobsu.

Hello, I'm Kaeillyn. I'm from the Bronx, my family and friends call me Kae, I'm presently majoring in Public Relations with a double minor in Entrepreneurship and Gender Women Studies. I use writing as a platform to share my thoughts and experience. I joined Her Campus as a new opportunity to investigate my potential as a nonfiction book author/writer. My interests include learning new things, R&B and Soul music, civic participation, and community outreach.