This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oswego chapter.

Thanksgiving is all about family, friends and food. One of my favorite parts about Thanksgiving is the food, more specifically the sides. I have so many memories from over the years helping my mom set up the dining room table as she prepared different dishes, such as broccoli casserole and mashed potatoes. As she was getting everything ready, my grandmother would arrive with more food to feast on like sweet potato pie. Below are the recipes for some of my favorite dishes for the holiday. 

Broccoli Casserole:

1 ten-ounce package of broccoli 

1/2 can of cream of mushroom soup

1/2 cup of mayonnaise

1 egg (well beaten)

1/2 cup of shredded cheddar cheese

2 tablespoons of butter

1/4 cup of crushed Ritz crackers

1.) Cook broccoli for five minutes

2.) Drain and cut up broccoli 

3.) Combine soup, mayonnaise, egg, and cheese. Mix well.

4.) Add broccoli 

5.) Spoon mix into a lightly greased baking dish. Dot with butter.

6.) Sprinkle crushed Ritz crackers on top.

7.) Bake at 350 degrees for thirty minutes

Sweet Potato Pie:

3 cups of mashed sweet potatoes (6 large yams or sweet potatoes) 

2 eggs

1 cup sugar

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

1/2 teaspoon of salt

1/2 cup of milk

1/3 cup of melted butter

Combine all ingredients and place in a buttered square Pyrex dish. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and prepare crumble topping for the sweet potatoes.

Sweet Potato Pie Topping:

1 cup brown sugar

1 cup chopped walnuts

1/3 cup flour

1/3 melted butter

Mix all ingredients together until the mix is like a crumb texture. Place on top of potatoes and bake at 350 degrees for thirty five minutes.

Mashed Potatoes:

1.) Wash, peel, and cut potatoes into small pieces

2.) Bring a pot of salted water to a boil. Add potatoes and cook until tender but still firm for about 15 minutes; drain.

3.) Add butter, milk, salt, pepper

4.) Mash or mix with hand blender until smooth and creamy

Carolyn is a senior at SUNY Oswego studying Public Relations and English. She is the Marketing & PR Director of Her Campus, as well as a peer educator for the counseling center. Outside of Her Campus, Carolyn enjoys watching movies with her friends, baking, and online shopping.