This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oswego chapter.

During the Fall 2021 semester, I was dealing with a lot of issues that revolved around loving others, loving myself, and recognizing my worth. After going to therapy, journaling, and changing my media consumption, I wanted to try listening to podcasts in my free time. And, luckily for me, I found The Self Love Fix podcast. 

Created by Beatrice Kamau, The Self Love Fix podcast is “all about helping WOC (women of color) delve deeper into their self love, self worth, personal development, self esteem, and self care.” 

Kamau’s words of wisdom helped me realize that I was holding myself back from so many opportunities in love and life, all because of my negative self-talk and generational trauma that I had not yet digested. Many of these things affect us, but we don’t realize it until someone tells us and we begin to process many of our life experiences. By listening to the podcast, I was able to see that I was codependent in many of my friendships and relationships, which was causing more harm than good. By being codependent, I lacked boundaries and self identity, which kept me in a toxic cycle/situationship and negatively affected my mental health. Kamau’s podcast taught me to expand the love that I have for myself and to step into a new sense of confidence and well-being. 

With over 150 episodes, Kamau helps listeners develop trust within themselves and others, set boundaries, tackle codependency, and so much more! Episodes range from 15 minutes to an hour, so you can listen to one between classes or in the morning as you get ready for work. You also don’t have to listen to the podcasts in order since they touch on a variety of topics, so feel free to scroll through the list and choose something that resonates with you. 

Overall, I truly love this podcast and I am so glad that I found it at such an important time in my life. Even though I do not listen as much as I used to, I’m thankful to know it’s there whenever I need it, and I hope others will enjoy it too!

The podcast can be found on Spotify, Apple, and Google. Click here for access to her website and podcast information.

Jaylea Ransom is a communication major at SUNY Oswego and plans to attend graduate school for a master's in business administration. When Jaylea is not reading, writing, or completing work for an internship, you can find her watching Netflix or listening to music.