6 Things to Know About Oswego State’s Weather

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oswego chapter.

Oswego State is known for it’s insane winds, tough winters, and horribly cold rain. A lot of people know that being right by Lake Ontario, we get a lot of high winds and bad snow/rain storms that can go on for days. However, there are some things people don’t know about the weather in Oswego. Before you think about going to Oz (which you should because it’s great and the weather isn’t that bad), we gathered up six weather things they don’t tell you about Oswego State. 

1. It rains more than you’d think

So make sure you buy a rainjacket and boots.

2. And the rain we have is not nice “kiss me in the rain”, rain. It’s cold, wet, and sad

Just like us after midterms week.

3. Umbrellas don’t work here….

“Wow, the wind is only 20 mph today. Not even bad.”

4. …because the wind literally knocks you and everything else over

I walked to my dorm sideways once because of the wind. It actually happens.

5. Our homecoming weekend is called Whiteout Weekend for a reason

The snow gets really bad here: whiteout level bad, which is what our homecoming game is named after. And whiteouts happen frequently.

6. But on the opposite end…we do get #roasted in the early months of September

It’s hard to believe, but it does get hot here, all the way up North! But it’s not a happy, dry heat; it’s a humid, roasting heat that lasts only a few *horrible, painful, miserable* weeks. 

Katie Short

Oswego '18

Katie is a recent graduate of SUNY Oswego, where she double-majored in Creative Writing and Political Science and a minor in Journalism. She was the Co-Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Oswego as well as a Chapter Advisor. Katie hopes to get a job in writing, editing or social media.