5 Ways to Get Into the Halloween Spirit

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oswego chapter.

Hey, it’s October and that means Halloween is approaching!

Halloween was the absolute best when you were little because you got to dress up as your favorite cartoon character and receive free candy just for knocking on your neighbors’ doors. OK, sometimes you might have accidentally hit up the dentist on the block for a piece of chocolate and got a 20 minute lecture on flossing with an apple instead. But hey, you could always keep hitting the pavement and find someone who would give out the king-sized Kit Kats.

Now that we’re technically “adults,” Halloween isn’t as fun now that there is no more trick-or-treating, but let’s refuse to let the fun end! Here are some fun ways to get into the Halloween spirit this month:

1. Watch Halloween-themed movies!—You can spend a night with Michael Myers and Freddy Krueger, however I am not a fan of dudes who like to wield knives for fingers (sorry, just personal preference). If you are not a fan of blood and gore, hang out the Sanderson Sisters from Hocus Pocus or travel to Halloweentown with Marnie Cromwell. Revisit old favorites like A Nightmare Before Christmas, The Adams Family, or Beetlejuice. Spend a night out in the town and watch The Book of Life, a fantasy adventure that takes place during Mexico’s Day of the Dead. Go see it in theaters with your friends Oct. 17.

2. Eat all the candy your heart desires! —You see that candy aisle in the grocery store? Go in it. Go buy the big bags of the variety packs filled with Twix, Baby Ruths, Crunch, and Skittles. There’s bound to be something that suits your sweet tooth. If you miss receiving candy and don’t want to just buy it, start a treat exchange within your friend group down the hall. Leave candies or chocolates in each other’s mailboxes with eerie messages to send chills down their spines.

3. Decorate!—As if you need an excuse to hit the craft store or update your Pintrest board! Cut out ghosts, bats or even witches out of construction paper and decorate your walls. Use cotton balls to make some spider-webs to hang outside on your bulletin board or purchase orange and purple lights to hang inside your room! You can dangle ghost garlands over your door as a way to greet visitors. You can even make a craft night out of it with your friends!

4. Eat Halloween themed foods! —You know the ones. Yeah, you do. The Pillsbury Halloween cookies? The Count Chocula, Franken Berry and Boo Berry cereals that are only available in the autumn? Make some cupcakes and top them with delicious orange frosting to give out to the people in your hall.  Plus, not to mention the official drink of the fall season: apple cider! Admit it, your mouth started watering as you read this. Don’t be afraid to indulge yourself this October.

5. Dress up! —You don’t have to go to class in costume all 31 days of the month … unless you really want to. But you can add a little Halloween spirit to your wardrobe with  funky Halloween crystal spider stud earrings from Claire’s or add drama to your makeup with Maybelline’s Baby Lips lipstick in Berry Bomb and NYX Cosmetics’ smokey eye palette. You are sure to bewitch everyone with your new look!

The one great thing about this holiday season is we get to remember being the pretty princess or the yellow power ranger. The nostalgia of becoming someone else is in the air and who said anything about growing up too fast?