This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oswego chapter.

Climate change is one of the biggest crises of our generation. There are countless horrifying statistics that come out every day about the human impact on climate change. Every minute 1,000,000 plastic bottles are bought and only 23% get recycled and the rest end up in landfills or contribute to pollution. With these horribly depressing statistics, at times it may feel hopeless to help stop climate change. But small actions made by a huge group is what will change the world. Here are 5 items I’ve bought and use daily to decrease my carbon footprint.

1. Reusable water bottle. You can use any kind of reusable water bottle but I love my S’well because I love cold water and it stays cold for 24 hours. If the budget’s tight and you can’t afford to buy a reusable bottle, you can always stop by the sustainability office in Hewitt and pick up a free bottle. On top of getting a reusable water bottle, pick up a sticker to participate in fill it forward. Everytime you fill up your reusable water bottle, you gain points and win super cool prizes like a free Starbucks drink or a t-shirt.

2. Reusable makeup wipes. I bought these awesome Slowneerg Eye Makeup Remover Wipe 12 pack with a laundry bag. I use my Bioderma micellar water with these wipes. Once they’re dirty I chuck them into my laundry bin and they’re good as new when they come out! Not only do these wipes help the environment but I’ve saved so much money using these, which is just an added bonus.

3. Utensils. One huge contributor to single use plastic that I never thought about was how many forks, spoons, and straws I use. By now, everyone has definitely seen the poor turtle that had a straw stuck in its nose. This cute little pouch has everything you need for any meal and you’re saving the planet, which is dope.

4. Bring your own shopping bags. Plastic bags are totally not cool when it comes to the environment. In America, we use about 100 billion plastic bags a year! That number is so big, I can’t even fathom how big it is. But I know it’s a whole bunch of zeros. Using tote bags is such an awesome alternative when you’re making your Walmart trip. Not only are you looking cute when bringing in groceries, you’re also saving the environment. Now rock that cute tote!

5. Donate your clothes, don’t throw them out!  About 26 billion pounds of clothing are thrown out annually instead of being donated. This is something that can be so easily avoided. There are a lot of people who rely on clothing from thrift stores because that’s all they can afford. Something as small as donating clothing can have massive impacts!

I can go on for hours about why people need to take action against climate change. With all the crazy things you hear about climate change, it sounds like a force that cannot be stopped and there’s nothing you can do to stop it. Implementing these small actions does make an impact. On top of being sustainable in your daily life, encourage friends and family to do the same. Together we can all make a difference and save the planet.

Currently majoring in Political Science and Global International Studies. I'm a feminist that enjoys stying woke. You can always find me listening to music.
Jordyn is a Biology major with a minor in creative writing at SUNY Oswego. She hopes to open a rehabilitation center for wildlife in the future. She's very passionate about animals and spreading awareness for animal rights. She also enjoys drawing and painting.